More progress

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Re: More progress

Post by marinesteam » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Was able to get some more parts completed over the last few months. Cutting a keyway and a little bit of finishing and painting is all that remains for the thrust bearing assembly. I changed from the original design using a single ball bearing and bronze bearing to one using two ball thrust bearings.

Cheers

Ken
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:27 pm

A trick that has worked well for me when silver soldering small bits together and with reasonably flat surfaces (not usable for round things in round holes) is to grab my spring loaded automatic center punch and pop three punch marks on one of the mating surfaces. As wide apart as possible. It provides just the right gap for the solder to penetrate and still get full strength. I apply the flux before heating. Water based.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:21 am

Hello everyone,

I have been working on the crankshaft for the York engine since early November and can finally say that it is completed. It was really a wet noodle of a part and many creative setups were needed, moving the rests many times and never had quite enough room to make a complete cut without re-setting the tools, it really pushed the envelope of my 12x36 lathe. Finish ground using a toolpost grinder and an 8" wheel. The pucker factor was high when cutting the keyways and the square at the end of the shaft. You know the feeling when you realize how much time is in a part and you just can't mess it up on the last features.

Cheers

Ken
smokestackmag
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: SL Flying Cloud

Post by smokestackmag » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Marinesteam:

"The solution is to use a high-temp compatible plastic plain bearing. And these bearings are also less expensive, weigh far less and take up less room than a ball bearing."

Please, if you would, tell us more about these plastic bearings and where they can be sourced. Thank you.
Tim Lynch
SL Flying Cloud
Oxford, CT USA
Editor Smokestack
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Thu May 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Tim,

Missed your question, sorry for the delay.

The plain bearings that I was referring to were molded for the customer from a proprietary compounded plastic by my previous employer. They were essentially a PEEK plastic with a high carbon fill. A similar product is available from McMaster-Carr in Vespel

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleev ... s/=12dmwjv

A similar bar stock material is also available http://www.boedeker.com/tecapeek-cf30.htm, but it's not going to be inexpensive

Cheers

Ken
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:10 am

Starting the cylinder block casting. Decked both top & bottom. It's a bit big for my mill but got the job done with no mismatch in the surface. Yeah!

DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Looks good Ken

-Ron
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Working on the bed plate.
IMG_2577.jpg
IMG_2577.jpg (10.66 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
IMG_2579.jpg
IMG_2579.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
IMG_2581.jpg
IMG_2581.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 7708 times

Next weeks task is to complete the remaining drilling, deck off the bottom mounting area and to clean up the thrust bearing lug faces.

Ken
Lionel Connell
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Alphington

Post by Lionel Connell » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:04 am

It is a bit difficult to see just how you are clamping the base casting to your table but it looks like you are clamping in 4 places. It is always a good idea to pack up the casting in just 3 places. i.e. in a triangle, and then to clamp directly over the top of the three packers, this way you are least likely to spring a twist into the casting as you clamp it down. Also, if you work like this and any stress is relieved withing the casting by machining it, the casting will be able to move to it's most relaxed position and your final cuts will be in the correct place, rather than the casting twisting after you release the clamps.

Cheers

Lionel
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Quote: "It is always a good idea to pack up the casting in just 3 places."

Yes, for establishing an initial accurate plane of reference. Or shim the irregular surface with Joblocks or expandable parallels.

Quote: "the casting will be able to move to it's most relaxed position and your final cuts will be in the correct place, rather than the casting twisting after you release the clamps."

Depends on the mass and rigidity of the casting, but once an initial accurate plane is established, it is best to flip the piece to the work surface and hold it firmly at a sufficient number of points to eliminate deflection from cutter/machining forces. Castings are naturally annealed when cooled slowly and typically have very little internal stress, unlike a weldment.

-Ron