Best Venue to Advertize Sale of a Steamboat

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Best Venue to Advertize Sale of a Steamboat

Post by Mfoxchicago » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:10 pm

Hello Folks,

After almost 10 years of ownership, I am faced with the sale of the PS TULE PRINCESS. I am considering the best publications or venues to list her in For Sale.

1) Is the International Steamboat Society / publication: STEAMBOATING Magazine still a functioning organization? I looked at the FB page and did not see any current postings. Their website seemed to be lacking any recent postings.

2) The North American Steam Boat Associatioin / pub: THE SMOKESTACK seems to be still a vibrant organization. I plan to renew an old membership, then list her there.

3) Boats & Harbors - $$$, but that was the publication where I stumbled across her 12 years ago.

4) Certainly, present organization included - STEAMBOATINGFORUM.net

5) Any others that I should consider……?????

I appreciate you input.

Thanks,
Capt. Mack
PS TULE PRINCESS
San Angelo, Tex
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Re: Best Venue to Advertize Sale of a Steamboat

Post by Kelly Anderson » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:06 pm

As far as I know, neither Steamboating nor the Smokestack are still being published. The Northwest Steam Society is active and produces a newsletter. They look to have about a dozen steam boats for sale in their classified ads right now, so it isn't a seller's market.

I sold my first boat via an auction on Ebay, but was disappointed in the result. Perhaps a buy it now sale would have been better.

Beckmann Boatshop https://www.steamboating.net/index.html used to sell boats on commission. Not sure if they still do.

As a hobby, we really need to actively recruit younger people into it, or else in another decade, the hobby will cease to exist in the US.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:02 pm

Hi Mack

Sorry that I failed to spot this thread much sooner. You can post your boat on the SBA website for free. It is viewed world wide and we still have many US based members. Just send the text of the advert and some decent photos and I will do the rest. If that will be helpful, please use the email address [adverts@steamboatassociation.co.uk]

The website is to be found here: https://www.steamboatassociation.co.uk/

Regards

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:20 am

Hi Mac,

International Steamboat Society is all but defunct. The guy running it kind of slipped away into the ether.

A few places I would suggest are:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forums/s ... ories.243/

https://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverf ... arine.html

The 'Marine steam engines' Facebook page

YouTube video

Craigslist (you never know!)

Live steam magazine (She was featured in the magazine in the '80's when she was first built by David Sarlin).

One thing I will stress is an articulate and descriptive ad with lots and lots of clear photographs. Nothing is more frustrating than ads that are cagy about details, difficult to decipher, and with photographs that look like a 5-year old took them with a disposable camera.

Also, having the ability for the prospective owner to take her on a test drive, or at least a 'driveway steam-up'. Unless you're selling for peanuts, it's likely folks aren't going to want to drop the coin on something they can't verify as running.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:46 pm

Is the boat still in the water where someone could make a video for you Mack?
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:49 pm

I forgot about discoverlivesteam.com, it is very good and handy. I sold an unneeded boiler there, which went completely satisfactorily.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:51 am

Mack, I was given some drawings from John York that are of the Tule Princess and some of the machinery. I believe he had done some machine work for David Sarlin in her construction. I had them scanned by a local blueprint shop. Where can I send the digital files?