Another story question

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Another story question

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Pete,

I think he wrote that it is set in the future some ? post apocalyptic setting? If that be the case, the fireman should be a mutant cyborg :) Or an alien grey :)

This poor guy asked for help with steamboat technical information and we've taken him in five different directions, he's probably worn out a few ballpoint pens since his initial exchange with us.

I've donated to the Shamrock trust in the past.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am

Ready for some comments, perhaps a layout that meets the general arrangement for the future boat story. I am no Naval Architect, and I know less about sailing, so I would expect many comments here. I think the masts could be used as cargo beams when not hoisting sails? Deck hatches not shown, but plenty of room under hatches for fuel. Coal bunkers on each side of cockpit? Cabin 6 feet long, enough for a small bunk.

The pictures show a 32 foot long hull, could be enlarged to 36 feet.
Attachments
FutureLongitudinalSection1.jpg
FutureLongitudinalSection1.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
FuturePlan1.jpg
FuturePlan1.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Fred,

I'd say that is pretty close to what a single handled cargo hauler with cabin and capable of long distance runs should look like. Fore and aft cargo holds below deck, some above on deck if needed.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

As a sailor I would say that a junk schooner rig would work better. Being junk rigged means that you could make sails of almost anything from sailcloth down to old plastic sheets and would attract less attention in the orient where the junk rig is endemic. The foresail is smaller and would be less likely to get damaged by sparks from the boiler. No standing rigging which might be hard to find in a less industrialized area.

I wouldn't worry about a keel for going upwind. That's what the engine is for. If really needed, leeboards would be a more practical solution as they can be retracted for beaching and going up minor inlets and streams.

Also, a junk type hull would be more likely to be found in that area. The combination of junk rig and steam probably happened during the transition from pure sail to I.C. engines. You might find one in Hanoi harbor chugging around today. Buy it and have fun! Maybe even a steamer though I doubt it.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama