Frances-Anne

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Frances-Anne

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Dear Wes and Friends

Thanks for the kind comment about the article. It is always fun to write up these things, but a bit embarrassing too as one has to face up to the stupid things one has done. All part of the 'learning curve' I suppose.

Greg has been quietly doing good things in the engine room department on both Frances Ann and Gondola. He also has talent with a camera and I thought you might like to see these just received. They do, to my mind, capture some of the romance of steamboating.

1. Gondola - looking aft towards the Old Man of Coniston

2. Gondola - looking forward (I have forgotten the name of the peak...)

3. Frances Ann - with re-fitted funnel and a view down the lake.
Image[/URL]

The cabin is back in my garage to be tidied up a little...

Regards

Pete
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:54 am

More photos, sir!

Thank you,
Steve
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm

More photos! (As requested)

The cabin is varnished and re-fitted and the plumbing progresses. The lake has gone down quite a bit and so has the wind.

The extra weight of the cabin now highlights the issue of algae growth at the waterline. Haul out for a scrub will be added to the jobs list...

This is the technical one. From bottom left clockwise - Safety valve and outlet, Main steam pipe stop valve, tee with green stop valve (left) leading to triple (Windermere Kettle, Bilge Ejector and Injector. Green stop valve (right) leading to (missing elbow) for Blower and Whistle.

We made some good progress today, involving re-organising the cockpit. Not worth a photo yet as we need some new woodwork to replace the original steps. The new plan has fewer steps, but bigger treads which should provide greater safety for dis/embarkation.

Regards

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

She's really looking good Pete! My only complaint is we need more photos!
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:07 pm

OK Folks,

Here is one more of Greg's shots.

This is a sort of View of mountains including general arrangement of boiler top piping...

The 'Grand Staircase' of earlier views, that looks like a stack of drawers when closed, has suffered at the hands of Cumbrian weather. In addition the cheap 'brass' screws I picked up somewhere have turned out to be brassed steel and are rusting. Not good for the finish. Finally, my technical guru has argued that the top step is far too small to invoke confidence before stepping off the boat. Thus we applied a large adjustable spanner and the whole lot were removed in no time at all. I am now working on the Plan B design with a big top step with rubber insert... You shall have photos but not yet - it is still a pile of half formed pieces and associated saw dust.

Regards

Pete
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Folks

We have had a very useful day at Coniston. The Boiler Inspector has called, done his very thorough inspection (visual check without the casing, thicknessing tests, peer inside with clever device, hydro test and finally steam test). He may have done more than that, but due to a prior dentist visit I missed some of the excitement.

All has been well and we will be getting a Boiler Certificate in the post shortly. Connections to the engine will follow soon...

So this is what I managed to record on the camera:

1. Hydro test just completed - Greg starting on the re-assembly. SL Gondola about to disembark a load of passengers.

2. Laying the first fire

3. Puting a light to the fire.

4. We have ignition folks! (I see that Greg and the Boiler Inspector are completely relaxed - I'm the one jumping up and down with glee)

5. The fire was hot but not really raging

6. We have pressure and the safety works too

The boiler seemed very happy to produce steam on a small fire with no blower, so we even tried the whistle, but found it had a leaking seam. Added to the jobs list!

Regards

Pete
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Tue May 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Nice, Good to hear the steam test is passed

Mike
Mike Cole
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Tue May 27, 2014 3:14 am

Yep. But looks like you need someone(s) to demonstrate building a fire with "Prestologs". Ask anyone from the US Pacific Northwest.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu May 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Don't worry Pete, she's still there (Thursday 29th) and so are Greg's tools.
DSC_0004 (600 x 399).jpg
DSC_0004 (600 x 399).jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 15612 times
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi Folks

Just to update on Mike's comments, she's not there any more... However, there is more to the story, as this week (27-30th May) has been Coniston Regatta which was a charity event located at Bank Ground farm, on the other side of the Water. The farm will be well known to Swallows and Amazons fans as Holly Howe and has a boat house and jetties.

Steam launches were invited and generally launched at Coniston, so there was a preliminary gathering for steamboat gossip at the rear of SL Gondola's jetty.

The launches are Aurora, Frances Ann and Silkie

The operational boats joined in the Regatta, but on the last day, Aurora was despatched to collect Frances Ann and bring her across to Bank Ground.

The steam is all from Aurora!

Once the launches were all secured to the jetty, we then launched into a Naming Ceremony in which I was encouraged to pour a wee dram on her bows and announce her name to the World, who in turn drank a toast from the bottle that had done the rounds. For such a small jetty there was a big crowd... Being the centre of attention I don't have photos of the ceremony, but this is the remains of crowd still milling about.

There was also a much more momentous occasion than the naming, but with a smaller audience. Kath, my wife, had her first opportunity to try getting aboard using the new steps locker (minus their doors). That was a success and she also had a positive mention for the seating.

The grand finale of the Regatta was a cruise for everybody on Gondola. I assumed we would all get ferried across the lake to the ususal jetty in the little motorboat that was doing regatta ferry duty. Not so. The Grand Lady herself, all 80ft of her, sailed up the jetty and we were all scooped up/herded aboard. Surprise, or what?

The next day all the fuss was over and Greg was able to do some work in peace and quiet

So, nearly there...

Regards

Pete