Member's Steamboats - A Simple List for All

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
87gn@tahoe

Re: Member's Steamboats - A Simple List for All

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:30 am

boatbum wrote:I hesitate to post my boat's info as it's not steam powered (Atlas Imperial, de'sel). What do you guys think.

Keith

Wes, a little help!! :lol:
Your boat (ship?!?)sure is neat Keith!
boatbum
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Arcturus

Post by boatbum » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Arcturus

Full displacement riveted steel hull. plumb bow, knuckle stern with fantail, 78' length, 15.5' beam, 8.5' draught, displacement 90 tons, built 1929.

Power:1929 Atlas Imperial oil engine, 8.5"bore X 12"stroke, 6 cylinder, 140HP, 4086cu.in. displacement. 325 rpm max, governed.

12 knots max (at 325 rpm), 9 knots cruise (4 gal/hr consumption at cruise speed) single screw 56"x36" 3 bladed bronze on 4" shaft.

3 generators, all fuel oil internal combustion, 2 x 20kw and 1 x 12kw.

3 staterooms with accomdations for 8 guests.

Fuel: 3500 Gal in 7 tanks
Water: 2000 gal in 4 tanks
Waste" 1000 gal 1 tank

Keith
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/mikec ... 4[img][img]

Blue Buccaneer
LOA 17' 9" beam 5' 3" draft 1' 6". Single chine epoxy ply. Designed and build early 1990's by Roger Davies.

Engine and boiler built by Anthony Beaver, ST 5a, 3 drum all copper water tube. coal fired. Main drum is 5" x 9" long so is a bit on the samll side.

Prop 3 blade 11"x 18, 3/4 SS shaft.

I had the pressure vessel static tested OK and the final steam test is booked for this coming Monday.

Mike
Mike Cole
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Emma and Molly

Update of my Steamboat Register layout and data storage

Post by Rainer » Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Hello Steamboys,

within the last days I changed the layout and data storage of my steam boat register. Now it is written in php language instead of html which gives more flexibility in style. But the most thrilling thing (for me) is the new on-line data storage in a MySql data base.

This means, that in the moment when you are clicking the button, the database will collect all necessary data from the desired boat and the php will build the page for you just on demand.

Why all this? What's the advantage?
Before this I had to change things in a MS Access Data Base. Than generate the html pages via Visual Basic off-line in my computer. After that I had to upload hundreds - Yes several hundred - file to my web space.

Today I can add a boat or change just some data on-line in a web browser form and you will see this new info just from that moment!

There is still some fine-tuning left - but I wanted to show this now to the public.

Next step will be to add all your wonderful boats too - if you like!

This is the link for direct access:
http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... -radow.php

The German version can be accessed via this link:
http://www.steamboating.de/dampfboot/da ... -radow.php
Last edited by Rainer on Tue May 28, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Steam Boat Register

Post by Rainer » Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 pm

More progress:

I added a sort criteria to select all steamboats with video links:

http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... -video.php
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi Rainer

I have not been on the Forum for a while and have just seen your links to the new listing. Excellent! It works well and seems very fast. The sorting by different criteria is good. I wonder, would there be any merit in adding a field for the boat's class if it is one of a class (e.g. there are lots of Frolic class boats in the UK)?

Well done. I only wish I could emulate your skills in engineering and IT!

Regards

Pete
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

A List for All

Post by Rainer » Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 pm

PeteThePen1 wrote:It works well and seems very fast.
Yes, first it did not - but after a little learning curve I could speed it up...
PeteThePen1 wrote:I wonder, would there be any merit in adding a field for the boat's class if it is one of a class (e.g. there are lots of Frolic class boats in the UK)?
Why not, I am always open for new thoughts. How many classes do you know? Have to open a field and try to fill it with info...

Today I managed to establish a web front end to change the existing boat data. Many boat details have to be added.

Maybe in two week I am ready for adding new boats!

Rainer
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

First new boat pages in my register

Post by Rainer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello,

today(night) I added the first test case boats to my register.

http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... te.php#top

Now I am able to add more boats, pics, videos and texts with a comfortable web front end. For the more detailed tech specs I still have to use a "hard way" by hand.

Also I did not change the boat page layout till today - have no idea how to display all the tech specs in a nice user friendly informative non boaring layout...

It should be something flexible between Ron's good NWSS register layouted with all data in order:
http://www.northweststeamsociety.org/Pa ... SSBemp.htm

and the in-line textes of the SBA register:
http://www.steamboat.org.uk/register/html/reg8e.htm

Also to think about: abreviations are good to save space and reading time for the wily but difficult for the steam newbie...
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Rainer - please feel free to use any or all of the form I put together for the NWSS website. I can send you a copy of the template for the page. It's "pre-css" but should work well for a start.

The biggest problem I have with many of these listings today (including the NWSS one) is the lack of search engine capabilities. I tried to break the webpage down into segments - hull, engine, other mechanical, boiler - but to have that info searchable would be an enormous help. My intent was to create listings that would allow easy access to various technical statistics to permit easy comparsions between different hulls/machinery/etc.

If I can be of any help, let me know. Ron
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Rainer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:38 am

Ron wrote:Rainer - please feel free to use any or all of the form I put together for the NWSS website.
Thank you for this offer. I will have a closer look - I already took some hints about what to describe in such a register from your site.
Ron wrote:The biggest problem I have with many of these listings today (including the NWSS one) is the lack of search engine capabilities.
- The first problem is to make a complete list with the desired data.
- Second is to get complete sets of data which are "true" and comparable for each boat.
- Third to store them right.
- Fourth to make them selectable
- Fifth to present them informative and user friendly.

According storage and selectivity I believe to be on the right way with my already implemented Sql Data Base. All other will be done after having some more data structure and input - as ever, this is a long term project...
Ron wrote:If I can be of any help, let me know. Ron
Thanks again, you could be a great help to verify the contend and my translation of the boats registration form.

Rainer