LoadRite Trailer Details

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: LoadRite Trailer Details

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 am

We are like the joke about the crow and the hedgehog. The crow knows many things. The hedgehog knows one big thing. A bunch of crows out here on the water. We know many things but when we do screw up, lookout!

On that note, I just bought a set of new safety chains as the old one were a rusty joke.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 am

"I doubt that my pickup with a 4 ltr. engine and an automatic transmission could develop more than 4-500 lbs pull on level pavement. Maybe a hundred or two more."

I am sure that your pickup can develop a pulling force (on dry pavement) very nearly equal to the truck's weight on the driven wheels. For a typical USA small pickup with 2 wheel drive, well over 1200 pounds of horizontal force. My old Ford Explorer (4.0 liter V-6) with 4 wheel drive could develop a horizontal pull well over 3000 pounds on dry pavement. That truck had Hi-Lo range transmission.

Toyota Tundra Crewmax Pickup, 5400 pounds maximum drawbar pull, 10,000 pounds trailer tow rating, I am sure this is a 4 wheel drive pickup. This data from Toyota.

From a truck forum post: " Tested my F250's pulling force today........
with a load cell today at work. We got a new one in to load test some military parts and thought I would hook the truck to it just for fun. The load cell has eye bolts in each end which we connected to the truck and to our 10,000 lb forklift. My truck is a 2001 6-speed 4x4 with 3.73 gears and no posi unit. In low gear 2wd idling, it pulled 2000 lbs before the RR tire started spinning. I put it in 4wd and it pulled 2800 lbs are started dragging the forklift on the slick shop floor.

We then moved the test outside on some rough concrete. In 4wd and low it almost stalled idling and pulled 4000 lbs. I gave it some throttle and it still wanted to stall at 4400 lbs. I then put it in 4low and it went up to 4800 lbs and then started dragging the forklift. I did not jerk, as it would have broke the load cell."
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:54 am

My Ranger is NOT the full sized F150 truck. It's the compact truck and a lot less than half of the weight is on the rear wheels. This poor little thing will get stuck on a wet leaf. And it simple doesn't have the power to develop that sort of pull even if it were connected to the ground with a rack and pinion. The torque converter will just stall and get hot. Maybe 1000 lbs on a dry ramp with no sand and a lot of tongue weight but I doubt it.

If I'm retrieving Folly on a wet, sandy, steep or slimy ramp it can be touch and go. Just spins the wheels. Believe me. That's another reason why I'm trying to keep any new boat down to a ton.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama