2014 Great Delta Steamboat Meet

Been to a steamboat rally? Post pictures and tell us about it.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Re: 2014 Great Delta Steamboat Meet

Post by artemis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Carol Ann's engine is a mate to Bob Dessert's: T. Patchet compound, 3.25" + 5.625" x 5", 12 IHP at 380 RPM, built in 1882 - one of, I believe, four made for the Exposition's water taxis.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 am

Steve,

it got quite close to home as the crow flys. It made the required distance in a single day, just in another direction. We were joking about going home to shower and using our department's new Lake Assault fire boat to catch it at the lake.

Ron,

you must mean solely in the sense that they were intended for the water taxis, not in being identical.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by artemis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 pm

TahoeSteam wrote:Ron,
you must mean solely in the sense that they were intended for the water taxis, not in being identical.
No, I meant that if your engine was from the water taxis of the Expo, then, as Bob Dessert's engine in Magic is also from the same set of 4, they are identical. See the "Magic" listing on the NWSS website under "boats &c". Hobby steamboating can be a "small world".
Ron Fossum
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Ron, I think you are mistaken.

If you look at Carol Ann's engine, the columns are completely cast and it has slip eccentric valve gear, whereas the Magic's engine has cast back columns with turned front columns and Stevenson valve gear. Additionally both the outside as well as the internal dimensions on Magic's engine are much larger than Carol Ann's.

Another photo of Carol Ann's engine can be found in Dick Mitchel's "The Steam Launch"
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by artemis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:26 pm

TahoeSteam wrote:Ron, I think you are mistaken.

If you look at Carol Ann's engine, the columns are completely cast and it has slip eccentric valve gear, whereas the Magic's engine has cast back columns with turned front columns and Stevenson valve gear. Additionally both the outside as well as the internal dimensions on Magic's engine are much larger than Carol Ann's.
Well, I was told this by Bob Dessert himself and this was supported by several who had researched the matter for him. Additionally, Magic has been to the B & W Meet (sorry, but Sacramento River Delta Meet just akes too much typing) several times and a rather think that if there is some confusion that it would have been sorted out. But... not my concern. :lol:

Ron
Ron Fossum
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Finally a video!