Three Drum Boilers

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Re: Three Drum Boilers

Post by Kiwi Noel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi
Just a progress report on boiler build, the casing is finished the economizer and super heater about to be fitted then it's ready for the flue, fire board and fire bricks. I have made the casing so it can be removed from the boiler core the plans show it to be all welded together.Here is the link again to the photos in photobucket. http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums/o618/KiwiNoel/ I will gladly answer any questions.
Noel
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Johnlanark » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Great progress and looking excellent Noel. One question - what tool did you use to expand the tubes into the small lower drums? Space is very tight in there. John
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Noel,

Looked at your pics, excellent work all around. Should be a great steam generator. Although it looks too nice to fill with water and build a fire under.

-Ron
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Kiwi Noel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am

Hi
To answer your question John we used a Wicksteed E1 & E2 tube expanders made up a chain driver as shown in a couple of the photos you can get your hand [depending on muscles] over halfway up the 100mm mud drums, work from both ends we had to use the E1 expander first because it is shorter you can get the drive onto it and wind it out to it's maximum now the E2 expander will fit in the drum and you can fit the drive on it, we made up a sleeve for a stop on this expander to prevent us from over expanding also go and no go test plugs to check the ID. We also mounted a C 20 countersink in the driver used it to de burr the holes on the inside of the drums. [in the photos with battery drill attached] You will find it so easy to do once you get started.
Now Ron, about getting it dirty it will be a shame my other half says the same perhaps I should use LPG gas instead of wood or coal it will be fired up and that time is getting close I assure you it will be used, I try to make a good job of what I do it all stems from when I was an apprentice in the 50's there was a sign on our workshop wall that said, Make What You Make Worthy Of Well Made New Zealand
Noel
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 am

Excellent work, sir.
Steve
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi Noel

As a pusher of paper rather than a machinst I am totally in awe of the work you have done on the boiler and especially the Reflex gauge glass. I have copied all the pictures of how you made it, though I doubt if I could ever copy it. Have you thought of doing an article for Ron Fossum's Steamboating Magazine - "How to make a Reflex Gauge"?

Regards

Pete
VANYA
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by VANYA » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Pete.

If I can gloat, Kiwinoel lives just not far from me in my town. Considering the sparse number of model steam makers I am so lucky to have a great machinist close by for inspiration. I just wish I had the same skills too.

Hayden
VANYA
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by VANYA » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 am

Noel.

Any new updates on the boiler construction??

Hayden
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Kiwi Noel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Pete The Pen 1,
You said it we are all different ask me to make something I can, ask me to write down how I made it and I am hopeless that's why I have always been on the tools. I have got to the stage of boiler insulation and it is holding me up, I have found your posts questions and answers very helpful I would like to make a complete fire box using Sandviks 253MA heat resistant stainless sheet and 20mm of Kaowool board between that and the outer casing, line the bottom around the grate and 150/200mm up the ends between the mud drums with fire bricks however I am still recovering from learning what it will cost. In the mean time I have made the most expensive looking, totally unnecessary over the top throttle valve did this to take my mind of the the insulation, it will look good fitted to my engine. It's on this link
http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums/o618/KiwiNoel/
Noel
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Beautiful valve. What keeps the poppet on the shaft when there is no flow or pressure?

My quarter turn throttle valve works great except for being too quick at small openings. I'm looking for a better design but would prefer a lever action of some sort.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama