copper

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cardinal Queen

copper

Post by johnp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 am

okay, starting to do some plumbing. what type of copper should i use? i will be connecting the main steam,exhaust to stack, and feed water pumps. with flared ends.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: copper

Post by fredrosse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:29 am

I would recommend you use "Type K" copper (heavy wall) tubing for feedwater, "Type L" for exhaust. Better to use steel for the main steam line, with a WW Grainger Flex Bellows in the line to relieve strain from thermal expansion, etc. Copper should not be used for any service that could approach 400F.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: copper

Post by barts » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm

I've used 3/8" refrigeration tubing w/ compression fittings for cold water plumbing; with small plants there's no need for more. You can use flares if you like, but they're not required. For any copper w/ steam (I have oil burner steam plumbing) , compression fittings will end up leaking, so flare those. For the safety exhaust up the stack I just use type L copper house piping - simple.

I use flexible connections between the engine and boiler. Everything moves in a boat, either when underway or when trailering, and you don't want the steam piping to fight that.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA