Elements for Square Foot calculation in Watertube Boiler

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Elements for Square Foot calculation in Watertube Boile

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Jon,

I have that same drawing somewhere, purchased back in 2007 when I was looking for a boiler for the M. If I remember correctly, I asked Peter C that same question and he said it should do the job.

In comparison, my buddy's Mason engine is 2.5" + 2.5" X 3.5" roughly 7hp. He is powering it with an Ofeldt that is only 19.2 sq ft of heating surface, so 2.7 sq-ft per hp. You would be roughly 4.3 sq-ft per hp. Ofeldt boilers in regard to steam generation and size are probably only second to a monotube.

If it were me, I'd build that boiler you have the plan for and go ahead wind a flat pancake for an economizer in the hood above. That is the route I'd go. I do know from experience, trying to find any boiler that size used at a reasonable price is about off the charts of probability, and often winds up with some sort of compromise. The boiler I bought for the Tug is a good example. It's a bit under it on steam generation, it's getting better with each tweak, but I still have some to go to get it where it's not a struggle to keep steam.

-Ron