Getting a boiler built in or Rochester New York

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
steampower88
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Getting a boiler built in or Rochester New York

Post by steampower88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm

I would like to either get a vertical fire tube boiler or the ofdeft style one I posted with this post in a 20 inch diameter. Anyone know where I can get one built or get the steel to build it myself with taking the liability of it if something goes wrong.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Getting a boiler built in or Rochester New York

Post by fredrosse » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:00 pm

"............. Anyone know where I can get one built or get the steel to build it myself with taking the liability of it if something goes wrong?"

That statement could be interpreted to mean that the person who tells you where to get the steel has the liability, I assume that you intended to take on this liability yourself, right? I could direct you to steel suppliers for boiler material, and my first question is what allowable stress value is required of this steel, and what is the maximum service temperature of this steel?

Actually if something serious goes wrong, with person or persons being injured, all of us in the steaming community are liable to suffer consequences, in the form of new laws or prohibitions, etc. The best policy for you would be to have the boiler conforming to an established design, and built by someone established in the business of building fired boilers. Please share your information with the forum before you invest, there have been some boiler builders who do not know what they are doing, a potential risk for all of us.
steampower88
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by steampower88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm

I’m simply looking for a boiler that can run two ray hasbrouck number one engines that will be made into a twin cylinder set up and is a total of 4 hp at 500 rpm. I need a boiler that is bulletproof and very user friendly with a novice operator. I’d prefer it to wood fired because it’s readily available in my parts and coal is not or at least not steam coal. I appreciate everyone’s time and advice on here and I’m just trying to keep steaming alive and there are some people that turn their noses up at you at times for even asking a question about it. I understand the liabilities in this hobby and understand that people are trying to protect it. But by protecting so closely it’s not allowing it to grow and getting younger people into the hobby. I have a set of reliable steam engine company plans and it’s their 5 hp to 7 hp boiler. I can’t even find the a106 fittings I need to try and build it and I don’t think there is a builder in my area yet alone the state. Another thing is when I was discussing with the drawer of the plans he told me not to use copper for the coils and I asked my uncle who is a big steam guy and has built boilers before about twisting 3/4 inch pipes in a 5 inch radius and he told be good luck with it. The drawer said not use copper because of using carbon fuels such as wood or coal because the chemicals and carbon build up would be catastrophic. So that leaned me towards a vertical fire tube boiler but where do I even start is the question of the day. Thanks again guys and gals thanks for your time and efforts in helping me with this quest
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 am

Take a look at the VFT-40.
http://www.steamboating.net/page7.html

https://squareup.com/store/tiny-power

I would give Jeff Lund at Lund Machine Works a call:
http://lundmachine.com/
507-276-6553

With so few boiler makers making hand fired boilers I would start with a firm that is familiar making what you want, not so much by physical location.

I'm in Ohio and my boiler was made in Minnesota by Lund Machine Works.

-CB
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:07 am

fredrosse beat me to it.....So I'll keep it short.

The liability if something goes wrong is yours, that said, Having a ASME stamped, code boiler does help if something goes wrong as far as you (or your heirs) can prove that the boiler was designed and built to proper standards and from materials appropriate for the service. It does not help with the operations side of the equation however.

I implore you to find a reputable boiler builder. Do not in any circumstances build a boiler unless you thoroughly understand the engineering and construction methods needed to do it safely.
I don't have personal experience with this shop but they are well regarded in the live steam circle. http://www.ridgeboiler.com/.

Also, the boiler is only part of the equation. The most important factor to safety is the operator. I would strongly suggest finding a local "steam school" and/or hanging at the local live steam club's track in order to get some experience alongside someone knowledgeable.

Cheers

Ken
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 am

".........I can’t even find the a106 fittings I need ..."

As far as I know, there are no "a106 fittings" available anywhere. ASTM A106 is a specification for seamless steel pipe, not fittings.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm

All Sage advice above.

Here is someone selling new boilers apparently a code shop: Look like good boilers, tubes are a bit large, but they are the same size I have in my boiler, and they work.

https://www.discoverlivesteam.com/disco ... /index.htm

Quite a few hobby boiler builders out there, do your homework, ask around for references before committing to anything.

Having the fabricating and welding skills required to build a boiler is one thing, understanding boiler construction and having a good overview of their operation is a definite consideration in making the decision to build your own.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 am

Looks like the picture of that boiler shows the outer shell continuing downward into the firebox area. If that is the case, it violates the ASME rules. It would be OK if the furnace area is completely uncoupled from the boiler pressure vessel. I have seen this violation several times with other boiler makers.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Quote: "outer shell continuing downward into the firebox area"

Ahh, I didn't even notice that. We built a small FT and made the same mistake sort of by welding the firebox to the bottom of the boiler shell and had to cut it loose.

That's why I wrote "ask around" :)

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Are you talking about a water leg on a VFT? Beckman sells both ASME and non-certified boilers with a water leg (same boiler only one has the stamp).

I second the advice to use an existing design and have the welding done by the right person. I have found it almost impossible to find steel that isn't adequate for a 150wsp VFT.

My Beckman VFT30 steams fine feeding a 3 x 4 single and with decent wood all I do is blow it down regularly and brush out the flues once a year. With a float in the hot well it runs so reliably that am often remiss in not keeping a close enough eye on the water glass. The level never moves except for whistle and safety valve consumption
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama