Steam Drier

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Steam Drier

Post by fredrosse » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:55 am

This separator could be built without great expense at a pipe/vessel fab shop.
Attachments
SEP-09c.JPG
SEP-09c.JPG (127.18 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for the drawing Fred!!!! :D

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 pm

I am having this quoted....

Fred: The material A53 Type S?

In your drawing you label A-53 and sched 40 and sched 80 but they are asking for the exact material.

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm

A-53 Pipe, Type S (Seamless) is best, ERW (Welded Pipe) is also OK, and usually much less expensive. With USA made pipe, the welded stuff is generally very good quality. I would recommend you specify USA made pipe for anything you have built. For the half couplings, A-865 is OK, A-105 is premium. Full penetration welds required, and I would avoid MIG welding, although several shops can do pressure vessel welds with MIG in the higher amperage/larger wire range.

I always specify A106 Seamless Pipe for the main pressure vessel parts of a steam boiler that is being built to the ASME Code, although A53 ERW could also be used. However if you use welded pipe, then the longitudinal seam weld needs to be radiographed, which generally costs far more than the price difference between welded and seamless pipe. For the last boiler I had fabricated, the welded pipe shell (16 inch OD x 3/8 wall, 18 inches long) cost was $78, and in seamless pipe $314. But the radiography cost was $1500, so buying the seamless pipe was a "no brainer".

Those are part of the ASME rules for a fired boiler.

The separator shown above is not a fired boiler, so the rules are far less demanding. The sketch I provided is not designed to ASME standards, but I would have no fears of hydro-statically testing it at 750 psi.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 pm

I got quoted by a shop to make this for $761.50, unpainted and untested.

I feel like that's too much.

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 am

When I had my boiler made, I went to three ASME Code Shops, Section 1, that are able to make POWER BOILERS. These shops are much less prevalent than ASME PRESSURE VESSEL shops, generally ASME Section 8. I got three bids to make my boiler, $7500, $2500, $890. This illustrates the range of prices that might occur when shopping to have something fabricated.

Those prices were for welding the entire boiler, reviewing and certifying the design, design calculations, pressure testing and attaching an ASME/National Board stamp. I had obtained all the materials, material certifications, cut to size, and tacked everything together before it went to the fabricator. I chose the $890 price. Have a look at the job I got for that price.

The separator we are talking about is far less complicated, and the right place should do this job for $150-$300 I would think, although prices have certainly risen sharply since our government has printed so much extra money in the last few years. The material costs, at current retail prices, is far less than $100. The welding time for the separator is about 20 minutes. A small piece of 3 inch pipe (generally called cutoffs or drops) will generally be found in the scrap bin of most pipe shops, and I buy that stuff for $0.50 per pound.

So, in summary, shop around, your quoted price is probably on the high side.
Attachments
890USD.jpg
Completed Boiler Shell, $890
890USD.jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
890WELDS.jpg
Automatic Welding, 48 tubes
890WELDS.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 5109 times