Nibco Globe Valve issue

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Nibco Globe Valve issue

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:45 pm

I have a hot tap (faucet to you guys) here at home, of reasonably good quality, that seats differntly hot or cold. It is possible to stop the water flow when hot, and once it cools, it starts dripping. ' :o Tis only a valve! ;)
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Love my ball valve.

I've changed all of my outside hose taps on my house to them. Much better.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Lopez Mike wrote:Any valve that has to be treated so carefully is, by definition, a bad design. I'd throw them out.
If I ever get near your plant I'm willing to show you how I can mess up any ball valve in short order because of operator error. :)

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:36 am

About the only time I've had a problem associated with mine was when I forgot to open the feed water pumps valves at the boiler. "Why is the hot well overflowing and the water level disappearing off the bottom of the gauge?" "Oh!"

"Good judgement comes from bad experiences." He says that from the vantage point of his third marriage.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:04 am

Lopez Mike wrote:About the only time I've had a problem associated with mine was when I forgot to open the feed water pumps valves at the boiler. "Why is the hot well overflowing and the water level disappearing off the bottom of the gauge?" "Oh!"
I have two stainless steel 1" Ball valves for the boiler drains and for manually blowing down. Water is too important for me - so these valves accept a lock. As soon as I start filling the boiler I close and lock these. I and anyone I've trained has access to that key. You can't kick it open, you can't open it without using bolt cutter. Keep that water in that boiler!

These are actually from some fire fighting valve company but It's steam rated and are bomber.

-CB
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Quote: "had a problem associated with mine was when I forgot to open the feed water pumps valves at the boiler"

I'm easily distracted and forgetful. I run a brass/stainless 400 psi air relief valve on my feedpumps, if I forget to open feedwater inlet, it just spits out that, the water spraying on me is my reminder to pay attention. Better than a split pump cylinder or broken pump arm.

Quote: "My wrist may not be properly calibrated."

Exactly, how tight is "tight"? The valve should be so designed that in the never-should-happen event when closed cold it cannot be opened when hot, if one is intent on opening it anyway, the first thing that should fail would be where the handwheel mounts, not come apart inside the valve.
-Ron
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:21 pm

DetroiTug wrote:Quote: "My wrist may not be properly calibrated."

Exactly, how tight is "tight"? The valve should be so designed that in the never-should-happen event when closed cold it cannot be opened when hot, if one is intent on opening it anyway, the first thing that should fail would be where the handwheel mounts, not come apart inside the valve.
-Ron
It's not that it's tight when I leave it. It's that I go all the way to the ends and leave it. It's unnecessary and counter productive to turn the the valve as much as I am.

When I get in that condition I am very leary to use excessive force with my hands and definitely not with a wrench.

I have to look at the valve, check the threads, Then I have to artificially create the situation of the seat coming off in side and see if it is possible to get it back on without disassembling the valve.

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Meh. Bad valve design.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:55 pm

It's none of my business, but I'm wondering why you're using that type of valve for a throttle?? A throttle should be fast acting so it can be closed quickly. If I had a globe valve on the tug for a throttle, I'd be running in to things a lot more than I do.

-Ron
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:54 pm

DetroiTug wrote:It's none of my business, but I'm wondering why you're using that type of valve for a throttle?? A throttle should be fast acting so it can be closed quickly. If I had a globe valve on the tug for a throttle, I'd be running in to things a lot more than I do.
I like fast acting valves for on and off. 1/4 turn is not enough for meaningful dialing in for me.

I do not know how or where you guys do your boating, but I find Nyitra quite maneuverable at slow speeds. I find it more maneuverable and quick to respond to with an appropriate amount of thrust then my families 20ft modern planning motorboat. When there isn't seaweed on the prop I can elegantly wiggle Nyitra in and out of her dock spot which involves going around a water hazard - an ancient dock crib without much problem.

I plan it out in myhead well in advance. If a boat gets too near or behaving weirldIy I come to a full stop and let them talk to me or pass. If a prop hit happens It's going to be accident that happens too quickly for any valve to matter. Docking has been a dream. If the conditions aren't reasonable and relatively mild I don't go out.

-CB