Hand Hole Gaskets - Major Headache!! I Need Help!

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Hand Hole Gaskets - Major Headache!! I Need Help!

Post by DetroiTug » Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Lopez Mike wrote:My real hope is that my next encounter with this tube will be to poke it out of the ashes after I burn this hull. The lady down the street that wanted it for a flower garden is back pedaling.

You just can't depend on people these days.

:lol:
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Sun May 28, 2017 11:37 am

Lopez Mike wrote:Now maybe try the nail experiment with different conditions.

Drop in the nail along with just a pinch of TSP. Fill the jar to the same 2/3s full and leave the lid just a little loose. Now bring the jar to a low boil for a few seconds and screw the lid down tight.
Better yet, draw some water from the lower gauge cock as you are shutting the boiler down. That way you are exactly duplicating the condition your boiler is experiencing.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun May 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Reminds me of the old native man in the movie Never Cry Wolf who, when something the biologist was doing was explained to him, said, "Good idea!" Several times.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama