the miracle of engine starting?

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

Re: the miracle of engine starting?

Post by wsmcycle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:25 pm

She did run forward eventually and we went up the river. I always go upstream first.
Thanks for all the help put forward!
Last edited by wsmcycle on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by wsmcycle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Fellas, It was in reverse position when it ran in reverse! I was toggling between forward and reverse when it started in reverse. That was the direction of the dock so i quickly slipped into the forward Position. It would not run in forward. I got a very good suggestion from Wesley, plumb the drain cocks to blow off at the same pressure as the boiler blow-off. I am not clear how to do that, but i am looking for a method.
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by wsmcycle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:50 pm

it was in reverse true;
I was rocking between forward and reverse trying to find a start spot. When it started in reverse, the engine was in reverse. because aft was the direction of dock trouble, I moved the lever through neutral to forward but it would not start in forward.
I'm going to try turning over with drain cocks open for a bit. hydraulic lock is logical but it doesn't account for being able to run in reverse.
i will assure the shaft keys are functional. She did run eventually and we went up the river. I always go upstream first.
Thanks for all the help put forward!
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
Lars Hansen
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: KRISTIANNA

Post by Lars Hansen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 pm

There is an article in Funnel No. 125 from 2005 named "Problems manoeuvring compounds", by Brian Smith. Maybe this could be of any held. Send me an email on lars@hjelm-hansen.dk and I will send you a copy.

We had the problem on the Danish tug boat S/S Bjørn that the engine locked-up during manoeuvring. After we introduced always having the LP valve chest drain open during manoeuvre we haven't seen the problem.

Best wishes Lars
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Quote: "hydraulic lock is logical but it doesn't account for being able to run in reverse."

Re-reading what I wrote, I deleted my post as it was incorrect. I have way too much on my plate to be giving anyone advice on anything :D

-Ron