Single cylinder of unknown make

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
mike stacey
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Single cylinder of unknown make

Post by mike stacey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Here's an engine I have that could be modified for use in a small steamer.I was thinking about putting it in my 16' lifeboat,but most likely it will sit in the shop for the foreseeable future! I made new piston rod,valve and valve rod for it.
Attachments
Screen shot 2017-01-11 at 9.07.10 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2017-01-11 at 9.07.10 AM.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 4964 times
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Single cylinder of unknown make

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 am

Mike, that's a good looking little engine. What are the dimentions?
mike stacey
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by mike stacey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:07 pm

It' 3x4
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 am

mike stacey wrote:Here's an engine I have that could be modified for use in a small steamer.I was thinking about putting it in my 16' lifeboat,but most likely it will sit in the shop for the foreseeable future! I made new piston rod,valve and valve rod for it.
That's a nice launch engine as is. I'm sure the engine appreciates the new parts.

-CB
mike stacey
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by mike stacey » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 pm

My concerns are the size of the base and height of crankshaft.I was considering making a new smaller base that would put the crank lower in the boat.The base it sits on now is meant to hold the boiler as well,so it would be difficult to squeeze into an appropriate hull.I think it would be too wide.The new base would incorporate the lower crank bearings.It has an overhung crank,so it would drive from the flywheel end.The crank's shaft was badly pitted,so I replaced it with a length of stainless.Upper half of main bearings are in good condition,but the lowers are ugly.They would be poured (babbet) into the new base.Sounds easy if you say it quickly!This is a little engine I made that shows where the crank wants to be.It is made all from bar stock,based on Stuart Double Ten drawings,but modified with lower crank,longer rods and a different radius on the expansion link.
Attachments
Screen shot 2017-01-13 at 9.21.08 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2017-01-13 at 9.21.08 AM.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 4882 times