Sea Lion Engine build

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Sea Lion Engine build

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:54 pm

I did a little looking and I don't see the double taper thing. The ones I have found use a split bushing that fits a shaft on the I.D. (cylindrical) and is tapered on the O.D.

I had thoughts of buying the bushing and taper boring my old flywheel if there is enough material. Then tap a couple of holes in my flywheel (again, if there is enough meat) and install.

Any links?

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Oops! I just spotted the link at the end of Dietrick's post. Now to find that 25.4 mm one here in the technical backwater of the U.S.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Neat gadget, but a .050 cent key and well machined keyway works as well. Just remember to use Anti-seize compound on anything steel to steel on a boat, even those double taper split bushings. A taper is no guarantee it will disassemble easily. If it's rusted and locked, it isn't going to come apart without some heating and beating.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:16 pm

I dunno Ron. I've seen some taper lock couplings on my uncles' portable lumber mill that were buried in corrosion and filth. Two turns of the breaker screws and off they came.

I think it's just that I am offended by keyways. Just a really weak spline that causes damage when it fails.
I raced hydroplanes and we gave up on keys for the prop and the rudder shaft bell crank years ago. They just don't seem to stay together under extreme service.

I know. Keyways have a long service record and they will be around when I'm gone but the newer things I have on my engine now are great. Ball bearing mains and eccentrics. I just don't think about them any more.

I'll probably stay with my brass big end and plain bearing cross head just to have a couple of oilers to fuss with.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Yep, I have ball bearing mains and big ends on my twin and they are very easy to get along with. The eccentrics are steel and the straps are bronze and they've held up quite well also, just a shot of grease in the morning. The Locomobile engine originally had steel eccentrics and steel straps, I put bronze eccentrics on it, no trouble at all with them.

Keyways can be a pain, if they don't fit close or in an application where the load is reversed frequently, any side play turns bad in short order. A lot of that has to do with the material used as well. We typically use everything as drawn with no heat treat, and for keyways, that just doesn't hold up very well. Easy to deform the keyway under high loads, double edged sword though, harder material has higher probability of fracture. Pay your money, take your chances :)

-Ron
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 am

Here some pictures of my solution, i think they are self explanatory and can answer some questions. There are a lot of locking assemblies so anyboby can find a optimally one.

The old flywheel was fixed only with two setscrews and no keyways.

BARV3.gif.jpeg
construction principle of locking assemblies BAR
BARV3.gif.jpeg (32 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
(linked from https://www.maedler.de)

Dietrich
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Tap the link on Deitrich's post and the sectioned drawing shows it.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:38 am

Yes, Dampfspieler, that's exactly what I have in mind. Now to just find more time in the shop.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 am

Lopez Mike wrote:I had thoughts of buying the bushing and taper boring my old flywheel if there is enough material. Then tap a couple of holes in my flywheel (again, if there is enough meat) and install.

Any links?

Mike
"As you tighten the included screws, the bushing grips the shaft and pulls it into the sprocket or pulley."
https://www.mcmaster.com/#split-taper-bushings/=17w1x3q
I'm sure martin sprockets makes what you want if this isn't it...
http://www.martinsprocket.com/

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:28 pm

I was going to go that way until I saw the bushing sets that Dampfspieler showed in his picture. Using his design means just a cylindrical bore in my flywheel. Much easier.
Dalai Lama