And Now for the Twin

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: And Now for the Twin

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri May 23, 2014 8:19 pm

I spent a large amount of time cutting back the ports and then gas-flowing them, very reminiscent of days-gone-by trying to get too much go, out of too small, two-strokes. I won a blister from the filing. :roll: :roll:
Old Port (600 x 450).jpg
Old Port (600 x 450).jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 19648 times
Once the liner has been cut back that too will need a little 'treatment' on the inside edge. At least the ports seem to be plenty big enough through to the steam chest face.

I got the liners finished, and fitted, with a drop of loc-tite round the port area just in case there should be any thoughts of leakage.
Liners (7) (600 x 450).jpg
Liners (7) (600 x 450).jpg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 19648 times
The tops have now been cleaned off.

Mike, your thoughts on pistons largely mirror my own. I have also thought about using Aluminium, rather than cast, just to keep the weight down further.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sat May 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Mike,

Nice work. Within a half-thou, yep thats well within Steam engine tolerance. When I bought my twin which was started and never completed, the cylinders had been bored, so I got out the Mitutoyo bore gages and started measuring, found they were bored well but .010" over. One of my now steam buddies walked in and sensed my concern, he laughed and said "It will be fine". And it has been. I machined the Alu pistons .004" under and used 3.000 rings. She will run down to 5 psi.

If you've never ran twin before, you'll love it. It will use a bit more steam and fuel, but the ease of operation is very enjoyable.

-Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon May 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Having cleaned the liners down to face level top and bottom. The existing ports are a little bigger than 1/8", but not 3/16" wide, so I milled them ports down 1/4", to allow the cylinder covers about a 1/16" register into the bore. I then fly-cut the bottom to get rid of the slight warp (about 0.005"). At that point I decided that I might as well fly-cut all the faces to make sure everything was true. In the end it seems it was, as all I took off the top and valve faces was 0.002"
Fly cut valves (1) (600 x 450).jpg
Fly cut valves (1) (600 x 450).jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 19604 times
Flycut All Faces (1) (600 x 450).jpg
Flycut All Faces (1) (600 x 450).jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 19604 times
I am now left with a few thou less than 3.5" between the port edges, so should have no difficulty with the 3" stroke that I first envisaged. The final bores are both around a thou under 2.5", but I haven't honed them yet as I haven't decided if it's really necessary. Rings I already have in stock.

By my calculations (never that reliable), I reckon about 5.5hp @ 400rpm on 125PSI. Should push something like a Frolic 18 without too much strain?

Ron, 0.010" oversize is a usual amount on I.C. engines, sometimes they even come that way from the factory. In fact I've seen them with only one bore oversize on a multi, from the factory!!!! Anything rather than throw out the casting I suppose. Rings and pistons come in std. oversize increments of 0.010, up to 0.060". As long as the piston fits the bore . . . . . ;) :lol: ;) :lol:

Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat May 31, 2014 3:59 pm

Cricky, who invented computers? What a fight to get a couple of photos reduced to posting size. :? Seems I had some hang up with file handling conflicts which has taken the thick end of an hour for me to sort out! :x :x Oh to be an expert in these things!

After the valve faces etc. I cleaned off and drilled the exhaust outlets and faced the drain-cock bosses.
Exhaust (3) (600 x 450).jpg
Exhaust (3) (600 x 450).jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 19577 times
Then I attempted the port plates which proved slightly troublesome with a long-series cutter that decided it knew better than me, where it should cut. Once I went back to the standard length it worked out fine.
Port Plates (600 x 450).jpg
Port Plates (600 x 450).jpg (61.03 KiB) Viewed 19577 times
The ports on this seem to me to be more than adequate, even generous, at 1.5" by 0.200" (steam) and 0.450" (exhaust), but I suppose that the important bit is that they are big enough, and in no way restricting, the slide-valve will be doing the actual work.

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Sat May 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Mike,

Looking good.

What kind of toolholder do you have chucked up in that first picture?
I might of missed something, but whats the reasoning behind the port plates?

Ken
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat May 31, 2014 5:02 pm

Ken, the tool holder is just a collet chuck, without the cutter (I nearly forgot to take the photo).

If you look back to the first post you'll see the problem with the ports in one of the photos (3rd), I reckoned that there was too much miss-alignment to correct without making the steam port too wide, or the bridge too narrow (or both). Granted it would have been nicer to have a gun-metal v-slide running on cast, rather than mild steel, but what the heck, summat had to give. :lol:

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:17 am

I didn't read back that far :oops:

Could have angled the valve to match :lol:

Ken
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 am

Hmmm! :? Never thought of that! ;)

Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 am

There has been a short delay in proceedings, due to other 'domestic' duties.
DSCN5581 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN5581 (600 x 450).jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 19520 times
A single pattern for the two cylinder top covers. They will need a flat where they meet, but it was easier to produce the pattern without it. I will need to produce some of the other patterns before contacting a foundry.

DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:37 am

The sides look parallel or maybe it's just the picture. It may be a non-issue depending on the foundry, but all patterns should have tapered sides so they can get them out of the sand.

The best thing to do is contact the foundry first and ask them how they want them. I just went through that with one where my ideas and their procedure didn't coincide. :lol: It cost me about 4 weeks of waiting for parts I couldn't use.

-Ron