Experiences with Bryan CL-90 S200 WT Boilers

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Experiences with Bryan CL-90 S200 WT Boilers

Post by Mfoxchicago » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:04 am

Hey guys,
Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with Bryan Water Tube Boilers? I am soon to acquire a vessel with a Bryan CL-90 S200-FD(BO) WT Boiler. The company is still making larger scale boilers and there is a rep working out of San Antonio, Texas. She is currently being fired with recycled motor oil and plan to continue the same. Your experiences?
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
87gn@tahoe

Re: Experiences with Bryan CL-90 S200 WT Boilers

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:37 am

nvm :mrgreen:
Last edited by 87gn@tahoe on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 am

Mfoxchicago wrote:Hey guys,
Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with Bryan Water Tube Boilers? I am soon to acquire a vessel with a Bryan CL-90 S200-FD(BO) WT Boiler. The company is still making larger scale boilers and there is a rep working out of San Antonio, Texas. She is currently being fired with recycled motor oil and plan to continue the same. Your experiences?
The website of Bryan Boiler lists the CL 90 as a hot water boiler with a water temp. control set to 240F, a thermometer and altitude gauge. Their literature notes optional construction to 300F and 250psi - since you can't get 250psi steam out of 300F it's still probably intended to be a Hot Water Boiler.

In the late 1990s I installed a Bryan Series D650 Steam boiler rated for 15HP at 175psi and 58sq.ft. heating surface in a 38' boat located in Portland, OR. It provides steam for two Tiny Power 10HP engines and a horizontal engine driving a generator. It works very reliably and the company has been responsive to any problems. There is information available on this boiler on the internet and it looks like Bryan still manufactures it. Based on what I know about it, it seems that what you're considering is not appropriate. I'd definitely get some responses from people here.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 am

Ron, i know the boat. Either the designation is incorrect, the boiler was built to special spec, or it has been replaced. If it's the original, I can assure you it does quite well.