new boat launch-propeller question

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: new boat launch-propeller question

Post by barts » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Peter H1956 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:14 pm
A two blade prop would be alot easier to make than a 3 blade but I do not know if that would work for my boat. I would think I would need a larger diameter than 12".
How much room do you have w/ the current shaft & skeg?

The folks at Michigan Wheel can make you a prop to fit the current shaft & aperture in a wide variety of sizes:

https://www.propellerdepot.com/12-saile ... ade-bronze

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:02 pm

P2050004.JPG
P2050004.JPG (134.1 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
Here is a photo of Reciproca's propeller, made of free machining brass. The very small developed blade area (about 1/3 of the area of my first propeller) is a result on calculations available in Propeller Handbook. I was very doubtful as to whether it would work, so I whipped up the first draft of it in steel so as to not waste much money on materials. Once in the water though, there was no looking back, it worked very well. The small area makes for pretty weak bollard pull, so she doesn't tow very well, and a headwind really slows her down. In calm conditions though, she really goes, no wasting of power on dragging oversized blades through the water.

2012-06-04 17.24.11.jpg
Here is a photo of the forms I used to make the blades. The one on the left is the quick & dirty form I used for the experimental steel blades. The one on the right is the cast iron form I had cast to give a smoother shape to the brass blades. I started with 3/8" thick brass, band sawed to shape, and shaped with a hand grinder into the proper profile for a blade. The blade blanks needed to be heated with a torch,and hammered while still hot to take on the needed twist. The still roughly rectangular stubs on inside end of each blade were then silver soldered into corresponding slots milled into the hub.

All that being said though, with Michigan Wheel offering 12"x18" props, I would buy one of those before attempting to make another homemade prop. If needed, it is easy to remove excess blade area from a commercial prop using a hand grinder with a "cutoff: wheel, then fairing the surface into the new profile.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
Peter H1956
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: assassin-Wes Farmer

Post by Peter H1956 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:47 pm

[
PXL_20230513_190006217.jpg
No room for a larger prop. Would a 2 blade prop be a better choice than a 3 blade?
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:28 pm

Fewer blades are more efficient in that each blade is cutting into water that is less disturbed from the passage of the previous blade. Supposedly a single bladed prop is the most efficient, but awfully hard to balance.

On the other side of the scale, a two bladed propeller often needs to be a little larger in diameter to replace an equivalent three bladed prop.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:45 pm

Kelly A:
Thank you for posting your info on making the 2-blade prop for "Reciproca."
This answers many questions I had.

I will report eventually on the 3-blade cast bronze prop I am finishing for my 17 foot launch "Cluaran."
In the polishing stages now. A picture of the unfinished cast prop appears on my reports here on "Cluaran."

I hope these discussions helps Peter H1956.
RussN
Peter H1956
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: assassin-Wes Farmer

Post by Peter H1956 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:06 pm

These discussions have been very helpful. Today I bought a prop on E-bay, 12rh15 pitch. Although the rule of thumb would be that a 18 pitch would be best I was concerned about overloading my boiler, which is on the small size. It was only $140 with shipping so not a big investment to try out. Thanks again for the help.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:06 pm

Peter H1956 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:06 pm
These discussions have been very helpful. Today I bought a prop on E-bay, 12rh15 pitch. Although the rule of thumb would be that a 18 pitch would be best I was concerned about overloading my boiler, which is on the small size. It was only $140 with shipping so not a big investment to try out. Thanks again for the help.
Excellent... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the "longer legs" this will give your engine. 25% more pitch should be noticeable... For best efficiency during cruising, open the throttle wide and adjust the cut-off so that you can maintain boiler pressure w/o undue forcing of the fire. A bbq temperature gauge in the stack is a handy measure of how much you're over-firing, and may suggest an economizer above the tubes if you don't already have one.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:54 am

Good purchase of the 12 x 15 prop.
Please let us know how it works for your boat.
RussN
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:34 pm

Hi Folks

Glad to see that the problem is possibly being solved. If anybody comes across a good guide to making propellors in the amateur's workshop then please do post it up. I will happily second the suggestion of getting hold of the Propeller Handbook. The only downside I have found with it is that for our boats, especially the smaller ones like Peter's, is that the graphs do not go that 'low' and one must use the formulae. I have been happy with that but not everybody is comfortable with a fat formula to evaluate. However, one could ask ChatGPT to evaluate it, but you may not get the right answer (See my other post today).

Regards

Pete