Invidious comparisons

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Re: Invidious comparisons

Post by Mike Cole » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 am

Blue Buccaneer at just 17.9 feet long with a ST5a giving 1,5hp gives me a figure of 213.6. Beat that!

Mike
Mike Cole
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Mike, with such a score I'm assured I would be interested in watching her, and have a lot of respect for her skipper. 8-)

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 am

Fred's the highest score so far with the Marget S. getting 370.56!

Assuming 19.25ft and 1Hp according to SBA registry.

-CB
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd say there's a lot more at play when it comes to maneuverablilty than just mere length/displacement and horsepower... i.e. size and type of propulsion (big prop versus little prop, jet, rear paddle wheel vs side or centre wheel, direct drive vs inboard/outboard etc), sail area of super structure, depth and type of keel if any, size of rudder, location and size of rudder(s) especially in relation to the propulsion unit, etc. These factors affect vessels of all shapes and sizes. Some vessels simply do not have an adequate rudder or other factors that make them all but unmaneuverable unless under way (some large ones may even need to maintain 8kts JUST to have steerage). To say that the use of bow thrusters is "cheating", other than just in joking, is an awfully bold statement.

I've been on, and handled vessels that simply steered like 3-legged cows in normal conditions no matter how experienced amd skilled the handler was and once there was even a breath of wind, it was game over... I've also been on vessels, direct drive no less, that one could almost back into a slip in a gale with their eyes closed after merely staying at a Holiday Inn Express the night before...
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:59 pm

TahoeSteam wrote:To say that the use of bow thrusters is "cheating", other than just in joking, is an awfully bold statement.
Like I said, I consider them that because they are terribly effective. I would not be surprised if in 200 years if 99% of whatever is considered a boat uses them in the multi pod like configurations.

The hobby of steamboating is great because there is a lot of room for different ways of doing things and it's a pick your own adventure. But that also means we might not share all the same values and opinions - and thats ok to.

I have been told by several boaters that I am "hardcore". Some may consider it reckless and dangerous that my backup to a 115 year old engine is a set of paddles.

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 am

The sidewheeler has double rudders so that the wheel wash will impact the rudders, as they are located almost directly behind the wheels. That helps low speed maneuvering somewhat, but the rudders are about 8 feet behind the paddlewheels, so nowhere near as effective as a rudder directly behind a conventional propeller.

I do have a good bow thruster though, a pair of paddles that can be used by the first mate when necessary.
Attachments
Aground.jpg
Hard aground on the Delaware, rudders folded up, no problems
Aground.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:16 pm

TahoeSteam wrote:I've also been on vessels, direct drive no less, that one could almost back into a slip in a gale with their eyes closed after merely staying at a Holiday Inn Express the night before...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ah8WTL2i8

When I was in Juneau ~2004/5/6 I learned that, if at all possible, it's so much better to wait for the tides to be working in your favor.

I learned this summer in Chautauqa with Nyitra to wait for calm or favorable wind, then I can very simply paddle and poll Nyitra.

Nearby Dock partners though would probably tell you a different story of this crazy guy trying several times trying to paddle/poll/swim Nyitra out to it's mooring buoy and getting blown to shore when paddlling/swimming was not sufficient. :D

I found if I answer the question, "How fast does she go?" with "Well it's really about smiles/mile with steamboating" I can get hem to a laugh - and then while they are laughing I tell them that it's a different pace, more like sailing, and that I only have 6 horses; Most people seem to understand this explanation,"

-CB
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

Post by wsmcycle » Mon May 07, 2018 3:49 pm

six packs per hour! So, who cares! :o It happened so fast (not never (kat williams)).
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:43 pm

I do like Lopez Mike's Kilo Furlongs Per Fortnight speed rating. I have been idly wondering if I could write an Python app for that on my phone. The 'sums' bit is hardly challenging, but I now realise that I don't have Python on my phone nor do I know what language folk use to write Android apps.

Anybody out there familiar with what one should use?

(Why bother you may ask - well I use a 'speed' app on my phone on occasion to relieve the boredom of public transport travel, but the result is in boring MPH. On the boat a phone with the Lopez Speed App could be passed to passengeers who think that steamboating is a little slow)

Pete