Prop shaft diameter - Stuart 5a

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Prop shaft diameter - Stuart 5a

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Quote: "The boat design forum is often frustrating because so many people like to chime into the thread"

Presently on a popular hot rod forum, a guy is converting a Model A Ford to steam. Interesting project, dual Ofeldt boilers manifolded together, twin simple marine style engine etc. He is quite the craftsman as well and getting along fine. The comments he received from the unknowing were a bit spiteful and even humorous.

Paraphrasing: "That things gonna blow up!" "Stay out of the blast zone" "Get rid of that boiler" "Go BUY a steam car" "That car doesn't belong on this forum" "It's not a hot rod" "One of those coils come loose, you're dead, steam will chase you" "A lot of forum members are upset about this project" etc.

-Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 pm

I've seen that thread and am acquainted with the guy from a local forum. He's getting a lot of flack from people making a lot of incorrect assumptions.

As far as hot rodding goes, that car is the definition of hot rodding!
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Wes,

Yes, he lives near you and I thought about mentioning that he contact you (I would've asked you first of course). We were going back and forth on emails, I was trying to help him out. He's a heck of nice guy. Good to see younger guys getting in to the hobby.

Fred, That onelunger moves that hull right along smartly. Reminds me of many moons ago, we had an old small outboard with a dead powerhead and we hacked a 3hp lawnmower engine on the lower end complete with the windup crankstarter on it. Surprisingly it was a pretty good outboard motor, noisy of course and it sounded like we were mowing the lake. :D It was mounted on a 14 foot aluminum boat and it didn't matter how many people were on it, it went the same speed, about 5 knots.

-Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 am

Ron,

You're welcome to send him my info. I tried to reach him on the local forum, but I don't think he, nor anyone else, visits it anymore. I'm not a menber of the HAMB yet...We had talked cars before as I had a '87 grand national also. In addition to the GN, he also has a DeLorean with a twin turbo Buick v6 in it.
My email is bilgerat671-AT-gmail.com

I'm happy to hang out with any steam folks I can find. We're a bit isolated up here in the mountains.

~Wes