Using TSP as boiler cleaner

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: Using TSP as boiler cleaner

Post by barts » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:09 pm

As I understand it, one of the principle benefits of using TSP is that it forms a chemical buffer, helping to maintain the boiler Ph at a mildly basic level, thus helping prevent pitting style corrosion which is typical of more acid conditions.
I've not had problems w/ boiler foaming, but I've heard of others reporting such.

Removing excess oxygen is a good idea as well; this can be done by keeping the hotwell quite warm to reduce the amount of dissolved air. If you want to fill the boiler each night, a feedwater tank might be useful; you can drain to this in the morning and refill from it in the evening.

For removing oil from the hotwell, I'm considering experimenting w/ electro-coagulation. I'm switching to a non-compounded oil this year which is supposed to be much easier to remove from the condensate.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:30 pm

Easy fix. Only fill the boiler all the way up when the inspector is around. What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over.

Pretty funny idea anyway. Filling your boiler up with canal water is a sure route to excess oxygen.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
smokestackmag
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: SL Flying Cloud

Post by smokestackmag » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm

PhilMart,

On Flying Cloud, I installed several household water filters. First, I have two in series after the condensate (air pump) to capture the non compounded cylinder oil. These have filter elements that are of the same material as the oil adsorbant pads. As well, I have a filter for the make up water that I draw from the lake or river to remove the dirt and organic material that might be drawn in. This last I change once a season. The former, after two to three weeks of steaming also depending on oil usage in the cylinders. I usually remove and discard the first in line, replacing it with the second in line and put a new one in there. I do observe a thin sheen of oil on the surface of the water in the hotwell from time to time. Perhaps someone can chime in here with a better solution. Oh, and I also put in adsorbant pads in the hotwell that all the condensate must pass through. These get changed once a season.
Tim Lynch
SL Flying Cloud
Oxford, CT USA
Editor Smokestack