K. N. Harris' Twin Launch Engine

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
rogercrier
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Re: K. N. Harris' Twin Launch Engine

Post by rogercrier » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:05 pm

The book says that details can be found in The Engineer for 20-6-13 so it will be in imperial measurements then!!! Is anyone subscribed to them and can check back copies?
rogercrier
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by rogercrier » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:25 pm

It looks like it uses 2 Stuart 5a cylinders at £65 each
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 pm

I took that to mean that the design of Dendy-Marchall's locomotive was in that issue of "The Engineer", not Harris' twin, so hadn't followed it up. For those wondering it is not 2013, but 1913.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
rogercrier
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by rogercrier » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Re reading the text I think you are right. The 1913 date is far to early to be relevant to the launch engine which is designed around Stuart parts which may not have been on sale back then, but I'm no expert on Stuart's time line on different engine designs.
rogercrier
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by rogercrier » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 pm

I've just noticed that figure 60 in the book is dated up at the top centre 6-7-62 (or 8) proving your line of thinking. I suppose that Mr Harris is assuming that the info contained in the book is sufficient for the engine to be built, which it probably is if you often design engines. If there had been detailed dimensioned drawings, he would have mentioned the fact as he did for the engine in chapter 11.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:38 am

I've tried scanning the drawing, hoping to increase the size and make it more readable but with little success. It is too close to the end of the book to get a clean scan (without cutting out the page. If I spot another cheap copy I might just do that).

Late Edit : - Perhaps a search of the Model Engineer around 1962/3 might throw something up?
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
johngriffiths
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Tenacity

Post by johngriffiths » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Hold the book open at 90 degrees, light it evenly and use a camera. If you organise it properly you can keep the page flat using strips of lead covered in cloth placed along the top and bottom edges. If the lead is in the form of an L it will not slip away. You don't want to break a spine.

Interestingly this was the also way a certain large museum did it when I wanted some boat plans copied from a journal. Some of their lead weights were covered in chamois and the frame for holding the open book very smart. Mine is a piece of 3 mm steel bent at 90.