Creative Frolic 21 Launch Questions

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
gallanach
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Re: Creative Frolic 21 Launch Questions

Post by gallanach » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am

The 21 ft Frolic hull was originally built by Rupert Laitham in Norfolk UK. There are many versions in the SBA fleet which seem to work very well, I did ask Creative Marine for a quote to supply a bair hull about 5 yrs ago I cannot remember the price but it was significantly higher than £6,000. I decided to build a 25ft strip planked hull instead using a Selway Fisher drawing I feel it has gone very well
I covered both the inside and the outside with glass mat and resin then used 30mm X 50mm iroko strip to build up a engine bearer / floor structure. Picture hopefully attached.http://www.flickr.com/photos/92904355@N08/
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Wooo! Nice!

(and the blue beast at the back!) :mrgreen:
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by gondolier88 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Morgan Plus 4?

That's a cracking launch you've built there, where did you find that prop, it's something else!? Is that a Phil Moore HP Marine Twin?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 am

Is that the Snow Bunting with a fantail?

Would you also give some more detail on your boiler? It looks like it might be a side fired locomotive boiler, a design which I am leaning toward for my launch.

Ken
gallanach
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by gallanach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 am

Some more details:

Hull design is a special drawn for me by Selway Fisher, I intend to use the launch on rivers and canals it therefore does not need as great a freeboard as most of the LIFU based S-F designes for example "Ursula, Annabell e.t.c". I have been very impressed with Trevor Jenkin's launch Lizzeee which is a 21 ft Frollic with 5ft added in the middle the proportions seem to work - we shall see.

Engine - Twin simple 2.5 X 3 inches built using Phil Moore's castings and drawings, built up crank
Boiler - 16 inch side fired loco designed by Brian Smith SBA boiler design library
Propeller - 20 X 30 casting purchased from Bechmann boat shop R.I. bored by Norris Propellers Isleworth
Prop shaft - 1 inch SS thrust bearing from Norris Propellers

Regards
VANYA
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by VANYA » Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 am

Kelly.

Does Reciprocia have a line drawing??

I have looked at that video many times and just like it so much. I often wonder.. Am I building a steamboat to be like all the other steamboats or am I building a steamboat to enjoy the thrill of propelling a craft through the water with a steam powered engine.

I really do not care if it is gleaming with seven layers of the finest varnish one can find, have a $20,000 boiler I just like the idea of turning wood into steam and making a journey. That to me is what I like about Reciprocia. It is different, it is painted green and it just goes. I like the hull be it multi chine and it is more me, just what I want to enjoy...going for a cruise.

It is my favourite video.

Hayden
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 am

Kelly Anderson wrote:Farmerden,
Here are before and (almost) after photos of the automobile engine hat I have been converting into a launch engine, 2-5/8" & 4-15/16" x 3-1/2". Feed and air pumps are still to be made.
Fantastic. This is very timely for me. What automobile manufacturer?

I have a Toledo steam carriage engine 1902, from Toledo, Ohio. The bed you made for yours is something to consider. My Toledo was meant to hang vertically. It has rough frame that I think someone added - but it's not to my satisfaction. I have barred any more speed testing because there is clearly not enough rigidity at 4.5 knots on my boat Nyitra. I suspect the engine mounting plays some role.

-CB