PhotoBucket Issues

For quality photos of Steamboats
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

PhotoBucket Issues

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Folks

I have just posted a query on the Surabaya thread about the pictures. However, a bit of internet digging has revealed that PhotoBucket has decided to charge folk who use it to host photos shown on other websites. It looks as if all the photos on all the threads that use PhotoBucket for hosting have now been blanked.

A bit disappointing, but I guess they saw a potential revenue stream that was lying idle so to speak.

Regards

Pete
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: PhotoBucket Issues

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 am

Yep, outright blackmail. No warning, no notice, if you want your pics to keep displaying, it's $399 (about 330 BSP) per year. I tried to download my pics and they are encrypted now, once downloaded they won't display. Luckily, I have them all backed up so no biggie. I always posted them that way - linking them off site to keep from eating up the forums bandwidth.

They will probably get class action sued for the way they went about that, but whatever consequences lay in store for Photobucket, they are probably out of biz. And that is a good thing.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 am

Is Flicker (sp?) still working?

Any other picture hosting sites to recommend?
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:02 am

I use imgur, An account is not necessary.

http://imgur.com/

I like it because once you upload it you hover on the image -> Click the Chevron or V pointing downwards -> Click Get share inks -> Hit the Copy next to BBCode(Forums) and it puts exactly what you have to paste on this website in a post to display it. inline in your post

You can add a 'l' (for large) before the .jpg to make it not huge.

They are about as trustworthy as any of these companies, but it works well and I'm not paying...

-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 am

In the end of the day these companies are there to make money. They do that by hosting your photos (and in some cases taking the copyright) and either charging you for the privilage, or loading everything with adverts. The advertising revenues are drying up/moving elsewhere, leaving them with only one option. It will happen to them all in time.

I keep all my photos (and other important stuff) on a separate S/S hard drive, backed up from the main machine, if I lose it of overwrite it, that's my fault and nobody elses. It isn't difficult to load photos direct to this website (other makes are available, but not all with steam boats).

I don't use hosting and I wont use the Cloud, they can all be hacked and your stuff lost or stolen, ask Pippa Middleton.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm

I didn't know you could load things direct to this site. I thought that would take up too much room. Is it a size thing? Like if the picture is small enough I can upload it direct?

Massive ignorance here.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Quote: "I didn't know you could load things direct to this site. I thought that would take up too much room. Is it a size thing? Like if the picture is small enough I can upload it direct?"

Lopes Mike, Yes pictures can be attached, they typically have to be resized because they are too large. For a Windows system, there is an add-on called "Windows Essentials" which is free from Microsoft. It has an integrated pic sizer with it. It's very easy to use, just right click on a pic and select "resize" and then select the size you need. Whole groups of pics can be resized by holding Alt key and selecting then resize. There are some free programs to do resizing, but be careful with free programs, they typically aren't free. The cost comes with ridding your PC of adware and spyware.

If memory serves me correct, a long time ago in the early days of this forum domain or maybe it was the other domain, there was a lack of bandwidth issue and Simon had to buy more for bandwidth, I think I'm remembering it correctly. Which prompted many of us to use hosting off site to cut down on bandwidth needs. Sites like Photobucket, Wikiupload etc. then just link to the pics which uses very little bandwidth.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:I don't use hosting and I wont use the Cloud, they can all be hacked and your stuff lost or stolen, ask Pippa Middleton.
When I upload it to any public forum, hosting site, youtube I don't do it save a copy. I do that separately. As soon as it's on any public website I consider it possibly stolen.

I just use it imgur because I don't want to fight the limitations of picture size of this forum. That gets really old after the first picture.

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 pm

So what are the limitations on size? My Mac can resize my photos any way I choose.

I spend months every year with very poor access to the net so I don't find any web based storage useful. As much as I can I stay self contained.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm

128Kb per image, It used to only accept .png It may also accept .jpg.

That's annoyingly right at the edge of useful.

BTW - I am not complaining. I don't run this forum, and I think I don't pay for it.

Anyways, that's why I use imgur.

-CB