Waterford, NY Steamboat Meet July 3-5

For quality photos of Steamboats
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Waterford, NY Steamboat Meet July 3-5

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 am

The Waterford meet was again fun but I did not take Phoebe Snow, decided to just go and enjoy the boats, take rides and help out where I could. A few boats came from long distances including Iron Chief, and Huron from Wisconsin but the longest distance traveled belongs to Al Dunlap who brought his Cheng Tze all the way from Washington State. On the 3rd day I followed the fleet up thru Lock 1 of the Champlain Canal and went over to the Lock 1 Marina to see the venue, the following morning they will make the 3 day 60 mile trek up the canal to Whitehall, I on the other hand went home.

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/steam ... eet%202015
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Waterford, NY Steamboat Meet July 3-5

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Don,

It was really nice meeting you over there.

That was a great meet and we had a wonderful time. Waterford is a perfect place for a steamboat meet. The 62 mile trip up the Champlain canal was hot and humid the first two days, but still fun. A sidenote; my new Windemere water heater worked perfectly and I was able to shower and cool off for sleep in the evening which made a huge difference after a hot day of firetending.

Day 3 and last leg was perfect for the whole 30 miles, it cooled off and we had the current behind us and a breeze in front of us. It ended in the beautiful historic canal village of Whitehall, NY. where the US Navy was founded. My only regret is that we didn't have more time to explore these historic towns along the canal.

Got to meet and see again a lot of the east coast folks and they are truly a great group.

Thanks, Ron
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Re: Waterford, NY Steamboat Meet July 3-5

Post by steamdon-jr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:14 am

Ron, yes even though we decided to just come up without boat I had a great time, I have only missed 3 Waterford meets, the first one as I did not know if it would be good and did not go, the year of the flood.... 7 I think and this year without boat. next year hopefully we will have canopy so if they do the trip up the canal we can do it and next time you come I would love to take a ride on your boat...btw do you know the maker of your whistle or did you make it ? love the deep tone, too big for our boat but would like to have one. great meeting you in person.