HAFENPOLIZEI "Burma Queen"

For quality photos of Steamboats
87gn@tahoe

HAFENPOLIZEI "Burma Queen"

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:57 am

This may appeal to members in Germany such as Ranier, as well as those who reside in the Pacific Northwest.

This was a ride we took on the 56ft pinnace "Burma Queen" during the 1997 Fleet Week in San Francisco.

She was originally built for the Hamburg HAFENPOLIZEI (harbor police) in 1926.

dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.S. Zeltic

Re: HAFENPOLIZEI "Burma Queen"

Post by dhic001 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 am

I enjoyed the video Wes, always nice to see a bigger vessel. I have to say however that the infernal confusion engine running onboard rather ruined it all. One of the joys of a proper marine steam plant is the quietness onboard, sadly that seems to have been totally lost on Burma Queen. Why run an internal confusion engine when you have a steam plant onboard?
Daniel
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:03 am

I agree. I remember Jerry talking about retrofitting her with a steam powered alternative, I don't know if he ever did.

I know she was for sale a few years ago (mainly machinery as the hull was about shot when the video was taken), I don't know what became of her. I'm sure Ron Fossum or some of the other PNW members could fill us in.

I actually turned down the volume on the sections of video with the racket. The generator was absolutely ear splitting as I recall (no muffler on a die'sel).

Without the racket, the engine was quite quiet and very enjoyable.
Last edited by 87gn@tahoe on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm

The former (present?) owner, Jerry Ross, found that the boiler NEEDED to be replaced due to severe rust sometime in the early 2000s. He located a yard near Port Townsend, WA and set her up "on the hard". Well, pulling the boiler (which involved removing most of the superstructure) revealed severe wasting of the iron hull plating. This was followed by sale of the yard where she was sitting and a request to vacate. Jerry listed her for sale at a "take her away" price - Zero dollars. I believe she's been scrapped. I think Jerry still has the engine and the replacement boiler.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Oilking
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Oilking » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 am

I talked to Jerry last summer at the steam in in Port Orchard. At that time he said he had sold it to people that operated a hydraulic shop in Longview, WA ,about thirty miles from me, and I knew the shop. A couple of months ago I stopped in for other reasons, and while there asked about the Queen. The father had no knowledge of it, but said the he was not always privy to all the steam stuff his son had going on his own.

I guess that leaves me in the place of being neither able to confirm or deny if the deal went through or the status of the boat.

Dave
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 am

Ron,

I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that the hull had been scrapped. We must have slapped on 5 gallons of "red hand" on various parts of the superstructure, hull, etc. the day before we went on the cruise.

Sad though really. It was an awe-inspiring experience to ride on her. I was supposed to be writing a paper due that Monday, I never wrote it and received an "F" in the class. The experience was worth every repercussion I have and will ever suffer due to that failing grade.

Up until that point my father and I were set on building a 50ft pinnace, and after that voyage we realized that 40ft was a little more manageable.
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Emma and Molly

Post by Rainer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Hafenpolizei VI is now Otto Laufer here in Hamburg:

You can buy a Otto Laufer at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.de/Graupner-2102-Otto ... B0037Y6I4S#

Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Emma and Molly

Post by Rainer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Found this video from 1938 - the high time of the "Hafenpolizei" steamers (but did not found the Burma Queen on it...).

Nice to see how smoke free they opereated all the steamships and tugs (more than 400 tugs in 1938)
- please notice: no container at that time ...

Oilking
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Oilking » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm

word from Jerry Ross as follows:
Hello David,

I'm sorry to report that the rumor is true that I'm going to have to cut up the BQ starting the 2nd week of Feb. unless some else wants the boat.

The property owner needs to have the boat off his property before I go to Alaska this year in April. I'm hoping not having to cut her up!

The cost of trucking the boat to the Longview area is about $2500.00.
If you have and interest call me and I'll bend over back wards to save her. I have all original blueprints and all past history plus many extras.

One interesting thing is that there are very few "service" steam boats. there are lots & lots of commercial and privet boats. the BQ was operated by the Hamburg Port Police.

Best regards, Jerry206 310 4565
It she's available for the cost of moving, if anyone is looking to take on a project?

Dace
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:32 am

I certainly hope someone takes her on. I loved riding on her. It is one of my cherished childhood memories.