Great videos! Thanks for posting them.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: R.M.S. Segwun

Post by fredrosse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 am

The youngster in the video certainly got caught with the steam bug early, is that you Wesley? I notice the layout in the Seguin and your father's build have similarities, the placement of steam pumps, etc. All very logical. Thanks for the holiday treat.
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks guys.

Yep, that's me at 10.. I went to my first steamboat meet at 1 month old (was riding on my dad's boat whilst in the womb before that) and it's been downhill ever since.

The Segwun is truly a magnificent specimen. She has had a lot of influence, including our choice of a Doty compound for propulsion (same manufacturer as the Sewun's engines).

He's tried to make everything have a small footprint whilst still being serviceable. All of the engine room deck plates will be removable so plumbing can be gotten at easily. Nothing worse than trying to stand on your head, or reaching in somewhere blindly, to work on something. Lessons learned from previous "fun".
steamtug
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: towminator

Post by steamtug » Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm

I grew up on this lake, and I mean ON it. 160 ft water frontage on the south side of the lake, about half way between Gravenhurst and Bala.

and this vessel would come right by our bay. she is beautiful and what got me interested in steam power. there used to be about 12 of these on the lake. she had a sister ship.

another one, privately owned at the turn of the century, The Wanda III which is 98 ft x 12 ft and wharves across the Segwun, is probably the most beautiful boat I have ever seen...if you get an chance to see her you wont go away disappointed. has a triple expansion.
and the whole superstructure is teak and mahogany.