Blackstaff Steeple Compound Drawings/Information

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Dano
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Blackstaff Steeple Compound Drawings/Information

Post by Dano » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:08 am

Hello,

I’m interested in learning more about Cliff Blackstaffe’s steeple compound (1/2” x 3” x 2 1/2” stroke). I’ve read about it in Steam Boats and Modern Steam Launches and like the idea of a compact but efficient engine. Are drawings offered anymore? I tried a quick google search but came up empty handed.I didn’t know if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dan Buergel
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Re: Blackstaff Steeple Compound Drawings/Information

Post by Kelly Anderson » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:24 pm

I built a Blackstaffe steeple from a casting kit I bought from Cliff Blackstaffe's son. Since then, I understand that the son had died, and the family threw out all of Cliff's patterns. As a result, I am in possession of the blueprints, and if you send me your email address, I can email a set to you.
P1290013cropped.jpg
P1290013cropped.jpg (172.1 KiB) Viewed 37660 times
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:05 pm

I have an original 1960s Blackstaff steeple compound engine in my steamer.
I also got with it a set of photo copied partial(?) drawings.
If you are missing some I can compare with you and see if I have additional useful drawings.
RussN
Rnoe317@gmail.com
Flywheel done 1 small.jpg
Dano
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Dano » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:43 pm

Hi Kelly,

Thank you, that would be perfect. I'll send a PM.

Thanks,
Dan Buergel
Dano
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Dano » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:22 am

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for sending the drawings over. I'm excited to print these out at work tomorrow.

Hi Russ,

I'd be curious to learn what changepoints were made from the original 1960's version to Kelly's later version. I can already see some slight changes to the frame/crosshead between the two images above. If you and Kelly don't mind, I might lean on y'all for advise/questions.

Once I start to make progress reviewing the drawings, I'll make a thread. I'm an engineer at a stainless steel foundry, so producing patterns and casting is right up my alley. We have both a sand foundry, and investment. For a lot of the smaller more detailed parts, I'd be interested to pour these in the investment shop.

Edit: This would only be a hobby item for me, I wouldn't take Cliff's drawings / ideas to capitalize on.

Thanks all,

Dan Buergel
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:00 am

Dan:
Obviously to be continued.
I will watch your postings with interest.
RussN
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:33 pm

Dano wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:22 am
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for sending the drawings over. I'm excited to print these out at work tomorrow.

Hi Russ,

I'd be curious to learn what changepoints were made from the original 1960's version to Kelly's later version. I can already see some slight changes to the frame/crosshead between the two images above. If you and Kelly don't mind, I might lean on y'all for advise/questions.

Once I start to make progress reviewing the drawings, I'll make a thread. I'm an engineer at a stainless steel foundry, so producing patterns and casting is right up my alley. We have both a sand foundry, and investment. For a lot of the smaller more detailed parts, I'd be interested to pour these in the investment shop.

Edit: This would only be a hobby item for me, I wouldn't take Cliff's drawings / ideas to capitalize on.

Thanks all,

Dan Buergel
If what was said about Cliff's family throwing away the patterns etc is true, then I see no issues with making a faithful reproduction whether for yourself or others. They've disavowed themselves of any interest in the venture long ago. If it were a still-going interest (Stewart 6a, York compound, Pearl, etc.), or your reproductions were tripe, that would be a different story.
Dano
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Dano » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:37 am

Hi Wesley,

I see and understand what you mean, I just don't want to give off the wrong impression, my goal is to make an engine for myself, and for my dad.

Update:

Below is a model that I put together to test out the core features. Since I want to try to make as much of the castings in the investment foundry, I need to verify that I can assemble the 3D print (wax infused PLA) overtop of the core. If assembly works, then I'll need to make or procure a ceramic core (conventional sand cores do not work well in the investment cast process).
Test Cylinder and Core Model.JPG
Test Cylinder and Core Model.JPG (44.46 KiB) Viewed 37485 times
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:26 am

You should be able to get very funs results with investment casting. Are you aiming to do it in iron?

What will you do for the partition between the bottom of the HP and top of the LP cylinder?
Dano
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Dano » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:32 pm

Hi Wesley,

We might try silicone bronze for the cylinder.

The cylinder will be cast as one piece, it looks like Cliff designed the engine to have a separate piece installed to it that acts as the partition between hp and lp.

Dan