Steam Digger From The Deep - Marine Steam Salvage

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Steam Digger From The Deep - Marine Steam Salvage

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6hmnUvTps
Steam Shovel Excavator submerged in a quarry was recovered by the late Ray Hooley and is now being restored at Threlkeld Quarry by the Vintage Excavator Trust with the kind support of the Heritage Lottery Fund. See http://www.oldengine.org/members/rust... and http://www.threlkeldquarryandminingmu... and http://www.flickr.com/photos/20121956... Video with kind permission of Anglia TV for education use only.
-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Steam Digger From The Deep - Marine Steam Salvage

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 pm

A few things give away the age of that film, not just the commentary style. I was made sometime in late 1977 or early '78.

Interesting!

Sorry Cyb, your links don't seem to be working.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 am

That's just quoting the youtube description for that video - get the correct links on youtube.

-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 am

I got the vid Ok it was the other links in the quote. They do seem to work from YouTube.

One 'fact' that is given, is about the late Ray Hooley; he is far from 'late', and still active in the world of Ruston Hornsby preservation. I wonder how they managed to get that wrong? Perhaps he just didn't turn up for filming on time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2017/04/indu ... vic-award/
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Quote: "One 'fact' that is given, is about the late Ray Hooley; he is far from 'late', and still active in the world of Ruston Hornsby preservation. I wonder how they managed to get that wrong? Perhaps he just didn't turn up for filming on time. "

Or he didn't answer his phone or return an email. "He must be dead" :) Could be a Ray Sr / Ray Jr situation.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Whether you like it or not Steam has always seemed to attract colorful, ecccentric folks. Some who can't stand each other. I'd imagine that played a part....

Tony Bryant and his Thrush Steamer were a big inspiration to me. He didn't get a mention in the Funnel until after he was done with steamboating (Alzheimers unfortunately).

-CB
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Did you mean to post this on some other forum?
cyberbadger wrote:Whether you like it or not Steam has always seemed to attract colorful, ecccentric folks. Some who can't stand each other. I'd imagine that played a part....

Tony Bryant and his Thrush Steamer were a big inspiration to me. He didn't get a mention in the Funnel until after he was done with steamboating (Alzheimers unfortunately).

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Yes, I was mentioning in regards to Ray.

-CB
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Quote: "Whether you like it or not Steam has always seemed to attract colorful, ecccentric folks. Some who can't stand each other."

That hasn't been my (if I'm the "you" in the "Whether you like it or not" comment) experience at all with the steam hobby. I've met some really great people, we don't always agree with one another on technical issues or design tastes, but I can't think of two people involved in it that "can't stand each other" Boat or Car arena of steam. I've made some really great friends in both.

Friends are like a nudist colony, you know the old saying "you gotta be one to see one" ? :lol:

-Ron
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:03 am

DetroiTug wrote:Quote: "Whether you like it or not Steam has always seemed to attract colorful, ecccentric folks. Some who can't stand each other."

That hasn't been my (if I'm the "you" in the "Whether you like it or not" comment) experience at all with the steam hobby. I've met some really great people, we don't always agree with one another on technical issues or design tastes, but I can't think of two people involved in it that "can't stand each other" Boat or Car arena of steam. I've made some really great friends in both.

Friends are like a nudist colony, you know the old saying "you gotta be one to see one" ? :lol:

-Ron
Your mileage may vary depending on the type of steamers. But I find forums aren't always the best for true socializing.

I want to actually take Nyitra to Toledo eventually. Have any interest in joining me with or without the Iron Chief? 8-)

http://coastal.ohiodnr.gov/maumeeriver

-CB