Slipways on canals UK northwest

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Slipways on canals UK northwest

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 am

Titan wrote:There is already such a site, I am surprised it has not had a mention. Here is a map showing most, if not all slipways in the UK. Just zoom in on the area you are interested in. You can click on a slipway and it will open up details of it:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/#/map

It's a good start, but it's a long way from conclusive, I know of two more onto the canal within 10 miles of here, not shown, it only shows one at the Red Bull north of Stoke, nothing between here and Stafford.

I must investigate it further, there may be ways of adding to it.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: River Song

Post by Titan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
It's a good start, but it's a long way from conclusive, I know of two more onto the canal within 10 miles of here, not shown, it only shows one at the Red Bull north of Stoke, nothing between here and Stafford.

It seems very simple to add to it, there is an 'add new slipway' button on the bottom right hand corner of the map. It brings up a box for you to fill in. Have not attempted to add to it myself though!
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Titan wrote:There is already such a site, I am surprised it has not had a mention. Here is a map showing most, if not all slipways in the UK. Just zoom in on the area you are interested in. You can click on a slipway and it will open up details of it:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/#/map

It IS a good start, but in this area I know of several slipways that are listed which in fact are either not available to the public any more, or have been obliterated. There needs to be a "Remove" button as well as an "Add".
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Titan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:18 pm

RGSP wrote:
It IS a good start, but in this area I know of several slipways that are listed which in fact are either not available to the public any more, or have been obliterated. There needs to be a "Remove" button as well as an "Add".
If you click on the slipway concerned, there is an "Edit Information" option at the bottom left of the information page. If you know of an issue with any slipway, or it has out of date information you can update it. There is also a 'Flag slipway" option at bottom right on this page.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:44 am

Titan wrote:
RGSP wrote:
If you click on the slipway concerned, there is an "Edit Information" option at the bottom left of the information page. If you know of an issue with any slipway, or it has out of date information you can update it. There is also a 'Flag slipway" option at bottom right on this page.
This is exactly what I was advocating for the SBA. The big problem (as envisaged) is that it requires the end-users to do the updating and policing and unfortunately human nature being what it is . . . Perhaps SBA could just add a link to the site. Unfortunately I have just been on the site and it says "slips can be added by right mouse click", but it wouldn't work when I tried it.

I wonder if Mike (Cole) has found what he was after yet?
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Titan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:51 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
This is exactly what I was advocating for the SBA. The big problem (as envisaged) is that it requires the end-users to do the updating and policing and unfortunately human nature being what it is . . . Perhaps SBA could just add a link to the site. Unfortunately I have just been on the site and it says "slips can be added by right mouse click", but it wouldn't work when I tried it.

I wonder if Mike (Cole) has found what he was after yet?
That is an issue, I suspect that the site owners have somewhat left it to its own devices due to it being user updated. However I think it is still possible to add a slipway manually, although I have not tried. The only slipway I know of that is not on it is disused and not much use anyway. I think it is possible to get the co-ordinates off google maps and then type them in, but certainly not as easy as right clicking on the map.

Might be worth contacting the owners and discussing it with them?