What steamboating looks like to the average Joe

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: What steamboating looks like to the average Joe

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:10 am

Once I was in a hurry to retrieve Folly and had a bit too much of a fire left over (wood fired). The pressure was creeping up towards a safety valve pop. I left the boat tied up the the dock while I went to get my tow rig. There was a small crowd watching and making smart comments. I had explained about hydro tests and safety valves.

As I jogged away I said, "Hope it doesn't blow up." About the time that I reached my rig in the parking lot I heard the safety pop. I backed the trailer down the ramp past a very empty dock and retrieved the boat in solitude.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
asal0312
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Hope

Post by asal0312 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 am

My favorite question: " is that a real steamboat"?

My answer " no, the fire and whistle are fake".

Trips people up pretty good.

Alex
Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground you cannot think of moving them.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 am

If they look knowledgeable enough to get it, I go into the Sand Pebbles routine about dead steam being turned into live steam by the devils in the boiler. "Main Stimp Valve!"

It's surprising how many people have seen The African Queen but have forgotten about it until I remind them. "Oh, Yeah! The steam boat!"
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama