Anyone alive out there?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
swedtug
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Tulka

Re: Anyone alive out there?

Post by swedtug » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Wesley

this was the last trip for the year, and have now emptied out the boiler of water . I used to light a small fire in the boiler each cold night to prevent freezing. yes this winter the boat will be left in the water. I usually lift the boat up every other or every third year for painting and new zinc

Johan
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Anyone alive out there?

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks for the winter steaming posting Johan. It puts one in holiday mood.

Of course here in the middle of Brexitland we have had 13 degrees C for our Christmas day pre-lunch walk which is hardly Christmas weather. The family consensus was to allow the fire in the stove to go out as everybody was too hot and stripping off (Yuletide sweaters that is...). A nice change for me as stoker in chief. Our central heating is currently down so the stove is doing the space heating for the whole house. Happily, that is not actually much of a problem as we are mostly open plan.

Not doing any work on the boat just now as the No. 1 task is to make 30 brass pipe connectors to replace the ones a friend made in some sort of plastic five years ago. Unfortunately they have started to weep depressurising the system. This little task has made me even more impressed by lathe work many of you have shared on the Forum.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the Holiday.

Regards

Pete