Patchett engine

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
double simple
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: MAGIC

Patchett engine

Post by double simple » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 am

HI, new to the forum. I have been involved with steam all my life, stationary, locomotive, and marine. I have my own launch 23' with a 1882, T Patchett Compound Built In Stoneham Massachusetts. Which brings me to the forum. I know there is one more Patchett in existence. It was a 45 Hp compound that was once owned by Fred simple of the Simple engine company. It was in his personal collection. I would like to find the whereabouts of this engine. If anyone has any knowledge of this engine I would like to here from you.

Thank you, Bob
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Patchett engine

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an interesting engine you have, hoping you can post pictures of it at some point.

-Ron
Steamboat Mike
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Catawissa

Post by Steamboat Mike » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Bob,
I believe the engine you seek is in the possession of Dave Thompson. Dave runs the Lee's Mill Steamboat Meet on Lake Winnepesaukee. I am , in fact there (here), even as we sort of speak. If you were to come by in the next week you would see lots of steam boats and Dave would probably be glad to show you the Patchett engine.
Happy steaming, best regards, Steamboat Mike and the good boat Catawissa.
double simple
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by double simple » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:32 am

Mike, Thank you for the info. If you would pass my contact info on to Dave I would like to correspond with him about the engine. Actually I would like to acquire the engine and put it in a boat I'm building. The Patchett I have is a beautiful running engine. The hull I'm starting will be 40' long and only 6' beam with a very flat run aft. I have a Sissons triple I could use however it was designed to be non condensing and the expansion ratios of the cylinders do not work well with condensing here in the salt chuck. My brother has a Fitz Henry compound that is almost Identical to the Patchett. Fitz Henry was the lead engineer for Patchett and quit and built his own engine. Dave could email me here or my work email of bob@everettengineering.com or phone me at 425-418-7055. Again thank you for the reply.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 am

Welcome to the forum Mr. Desert
double simple
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by double simple » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Wesley, good to hear from you. Has your Dad splashed that boat in the water Yet? Watched your videos, looks awesome.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:23 am

Good to hear from you as well.. Not yet. He just officially received the paperwork from the USCG and CA DMV this week. Not in time for the B&W meet.. Will you be attending this year?
double simple
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by double simple » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Wesley, Not going to make the B&W this year. MAGIC Needs a new boiler and I'm trying to get a boat done for another gentleman. Almost done with it. Then new boiler for MAGIC.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Sorry to hear that. I look forward to seeing and hearing more about the projects you're working on.

Do you have any pictures of the larger Fitz Henry and Patchett compounds? (pictures can be loaded onto 3rd party photo hosting site like flickr or photobucket)