Insurance

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Insurance

Post by JonRiley56 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi There,

I have a question for folks in the colonies (not the one with kangaroos), what do you do about insurance on your steam boats ? Since I am in Rhode Island and not for hire I am not required to have a boiler inspection, nor do I particularly want to play with inspectors. so I am pretty sure I wont get someone to insure the drive train. Is it possible to get a liability policy that covers all but the power plant ? That way if I run someobody down while I am pulling a water skier I will be covered.

jon
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Insurance

Post by fredrosse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:54 am

Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency 800 762 2628
An example:
Watercraft Liability $300k
Accidental Fuel Spill $854k (not that most of us would need this, but it comes with the package)
Personal Effects 100 Deduct $2500 per Accident
Uninsured Boaters $300k
Commercial Towing $1000
Medical Pymts $10000 per person
Boat $34k 5% deduct
Trailer $1500
$455 per year
Had to get (and pay for) marine inspector for valuation $200
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by JonRiley56 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks Fred !

Are you going to make the meet on saturday with your new paddle set up ?

jon
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 am

Hopefully. Lake Noximixon on Saturday
Ofcalipka
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Kaimiloa

Post by Ofcalipka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 am

Can't get anyone to insure mine. It's covered by my homeowners at home on the trailer and by my auto policy when in tow but no one will insure it at all on the water here in Hawaii.

Had one company tell me they couldn't insure it because it runs on wood. They said that was too flammable and the risk of fire onboard was too great.

Another company actually told me that they couldn't insure me because my proximity to the ocean was too great in Hawaii compared to other places and that made to much of a risk for possible sinking.
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by JonRiley56 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Looks like I may have an issue as well. I Emailed Hagertty and they replied saying they would not insure a "converted" sailboat hull. I am wondering if I would have better luck it I had a marine survey done and sent that to them.

jon
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Hey Jon, I'm waiting to hear back from my Agent here for an insurance quote as well - it has taken over 3 wks now & still waiting. I am hoping it does not make me grab my chest and dial 911. When I hear what & who underwrites my venture here, I will pass that info along to you. Good Luck.
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:49 am

Anyone else have any current experience with insurance? Working on getting the big boat insured.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:26 pm

TahoeSteam,

I'm in Ohio and with Nyitra I went with Progressive because I already had them for car insurance.

I made sure they understood that there would be a fire on the deck and a vessel with a lot of pressure in it.

They said that they understood it was a steamboat as I had said but were more interested in the max speed and HP for their insurance purposes. I told them Nyitra has a 6HP and an absolute maximum of 15mph(Which I doubt I'll be able to achieve) and got a pretty comprehensive package that is $200/year or so. I get discounts because I'm bundling insurance and I'm a 5+ with no accidents and no claims.

No boiler inspection was mentioned by Progressive.

I had talked previously with the State of Ohio inspectors and they are through the Department of Commerce Division of Industrial compliance. They said they don't really do boats. They said I could put my boiler on a stationary rig with one of my engines and that they could inspect the boiler and certify that arrangement in Ohio for public shows (Think Steam Traction Engines and Stationary Steam shows) - but not a boat.

I feel I have done my due diligence, and since my boiler is a brand new ASME Code & Stamped boiler manufactured in 2015 I am not worried much for the time being. I'm going to do a 125% pressure hydro test yearly myself and do my own visual inspection.

However in 3-5 years I would really appreciate some independent inspection by some authority...

-CB

P.S. They asked me the value of Nyitra and I put it at $25,000. If Poseidon must take it, I really only want enough to buy a new boiler and engine. I know the price I paid for the boiler $9000, and engine $2000. The hull was $1000. The trailer $2500. My time and all of the parts and new plywood, paint, etc I really can only guess at and don't want to know! :)
ron parola
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: victoria

Post by ron parola » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:37 pm

We went with State Farm after being with Allstate for 40 years, they dropped us cuz NOW we are in a "fire zone", funny we weren't for the last 30 years we've lived here! State Farm didn't seem to care about the steam part of the boat just the hull material, they weren't happy about wood but got over it when it was pointed out it's covered in fibreglass, and I pointed out it runs on diesel. rp