S.S. Zeltic

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.S. Zeltic

S.S. Zeltic

Post by dhic001 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 am

S.S. Zeltic has been my boat for the last 21 months although I have known and worked on her for over 14 years. She's a fairly typical small New Zealand steam launch of the late 19th and early 20th century.

DSC01921 by daniel_hicksnz, on Flickr

She's got a straight stem, a counter stern and built down keel with a triple skin kauri hull. The hull was built in 1903 by the shipbuilding Lane family in Totara North, Whangaroa Harbour, Northland, New Zealand. Zeltic is built fairly heavily for her size, the planking totals 15/16" and she has five full length stringers and a very heavy beamshelf. Although originally a motor launch, her hull is very typical of the steam launches built in that period, although she is very full in the bilge so has huge carrying capacity. Dimensions are 25 feet LOA, 6foot 9 beam over beltings and 2 foot 10 draft.

The boiler is a typical verticle firetube boiler, 28 sq ft heating surface with 24 tubes 1.5 inch OD. The firebox is dry, and is a separate unit from the boiler. She has been coal fired up until now, but will be dual (oil and coal) fired from now on. The boiler is just man enough to do the job, provided one is dilligent with the firing!

The engine is a single cylinder verticle marine engine, built by A and G Price of Thames, New Zealand about 1900. Dimensions are 4 inch bore and 5 inch stroke with Stevensons reversing gear operating the slide valve. She is condensing, using a keel condensor and has a crosshead driven air pump. The eccentric driven feed pump uses a bypass valve to control feed level. A backup Penburthy 3/8" injector is also mounted to the boiler.

Zeltic025 by daniel_hicksnz, on Flickr

The vessel was put into service as a steamer in 1994 by previous owner Alan Brimblecombe, and I put her back into action after a few years in styorage in 2009. Currently she is out of service recieving a major overhaul including new deck, a full engine rebuild by my friend Sean Harris, a new firebox and smokebox and a full repaint along with various repairs and modifications. She has covered at least 3000NM since 1994, and the engine has never had a full rebuild until now.

Hope this is of interest.
Daniel
stevey_frac
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: S.S. Zeltic

Post by stevey_frac » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:01 pm

She's a beautiful ship. Please keep us updated on how the retrofit goes.

Steve
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 am

Daniel Of interest?? Are you kidding? She's a steamer and we're interested! Welcome to the group Den
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dhic001 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:49 am

I've just got hold of the pictures of the engine taken during the rebuild about 5 years go. Here is the finished engine, minus the air pump. Unfortunately it subsequently needed further work as old damage, from having been hydrauliced many years ago, came to light, and Sean had to do some clever surgery to the top of the engine. it also doesn't look this clean and shiney having been in the boat!

Daniel
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Daniel,

That is a nicely designed engine.

-Ron
Akitene
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Akitene » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Good evening Daniel,

Zeltic is a lovely steamer. I've lurked through your Flickr photos and I stumbled upon this one:

... And this one:

=> I'd like to know a little more about this interesting little compound.
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dhic001 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:02 am

Hi Ron,
Yes it is quite nice, fairly ruggedly built. It has had some modifications in the past (the overlarge counterweights are an addition), and it has been abused too. A and G Price, who built the engine still exist, so the plans will be somewhere in their drawing office. They have always been a very good foundry and heavy engineering firm, and built many marine engines, locomotives etc, but I suspect this engine may have been an apprentice engine, as there are a few bits that aren't done all that well on it. That said, its still working, despite the abuse. I don't think i'd like to have to make the pattern for the cylinder block though if it ever fails, it's a one piece casting with integral valve chest, bottom cover, mounting lugs and inlet and exhaust steam pipes and flange!
Daniel
DetroiTug wrote:Daniel,
That is a nicely designed engine.
-Ron
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dhic001 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:07 am

Evening,
The small compound is a Stuart Turner No3. My father bought it from the original owner, and a friend did the final assembly work. Dad sold it on, and another friend finished it properly and sorted out a few little issues with it. The previous owners father had bought it for him in 1928, and it was part built when the father died. It remained in that state until we acquired it. I believe the No3 was built for steam canoe's, although they have always been a very rare engine. I don't think Stuart Turner have built that engine design for many many years.
Daniel
Akitene wrote:Good evening Daniel,
Zeltic is a lovely steamer. I've lurked through your Flickr photos and I stumbled upon this one:
=> I'd like to know a little more about this interesting little compound.
Akitene
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Akitene » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Very interesting story. Thanx.
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 am

Daniel, I like the foremast. I've noticed that a number of NZ launches have foremasts. I might put one on Iona eventually. Nice lines and a nice boat.
Steve