River Song

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: River Song

River Song

Post by Titan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 am

It won't be too long until my boat is ready to hit the water so I am considering the name. She is an 18.5 foot steam launch with a VFT boiler, and a Stuart Swan twin providing the power. She is a puffer so confined to rivers/canals/lakes etc. She has had one previous owner, and the name she has carried for her life so far is "S.L. Icthus". Part of me thinks that a boat should keep its name for life, particularly if it is/was well known, but then again she has been out of commission for over ten years, and has been substantially altered from her previous configuration, at least as far as the machinery is concerned. I would also prefer a different name.

Other contenders are:

Star of Africa - I did not want another 'African Queen', and it was a nice reference to my girlfriend. I did not want to name it after her directly just in case things did not work out and I ended up being awkwardly reminded. Not as bad as getting a tattoo but none the less... As it happens things do not seem to have worked out but I still like the name.

River Song - My daughter is a Doctor who fan, and it is one of the characters that appear from time to time. I also think it is a nice name in its own right and to me sounds very appropriate for the boats haunts. My favourite so far.

Songlines - I like this name, I was going to rename my first boat, a traditional narrow boat with this name. It was suggested to me by a colleague at work whom I have long lost contact with and I seem to recall it had some Aboriginal reference. But then anything was better than 'Mimi X' Never got around to it so "Mimi X" she remained until sold.

Feel free to comment, add suggestions and advise and or vote!
Last edited by Titan on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Name for my new to me launch

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Picking names for things, be it boats, locos, or whatever has to be a very personal thing. I have named a few 'projects' over the years and I tend to try to use a family member's name (or variation of) as they are the ones who have lost out to my endless hours in the w/shop. One of my locos is named after my youngest daughter Gillian, in the shortened version, but with the "G" changed to a "J". It works for me (and them) and that's all that's important. My boat, when it happens, will be called after my late Father, shame he won't know about it, though I'm sure he would approve.

Of yours I like River Song, but as I said, I don't count.

P.S. I don't have a problem with changing a name.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Re: Name for my new to me launch

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:25 pm

I agree that it's a very personal thing. I think since you've changed the launch so much there's no problem with a new name. River Song is nice. I don't know where this tradition extends to, in Continental Europe in Hungary they still often name boats after the names of rivers and streams. River Song is a nicely name because she will be the song of the river when in steam. :D -CB
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Re: Name for my new (to me) launch

Post by Mike Cole » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Another vote for River Song, I am a Dr Who fan as well
Mike Cole
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Re: Name for my new (to me) launch

Post by Titan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Looks like you accidentally voted for Songlines!
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Re: River Song

Post by Titan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Well the winner, as I almost expected, is River Song!

Unfortunately I have had a slight setback. last weekend I was hoping that I would be celebrating raising steam for the first time. A preliminary hydraulic test was done on the boiler to prove its integrity. Unfortunately it proved it needed a retube...

Just little weeps around the normal water level area in several tubes. Apart from that the boiler held OK, but a tube failure is not what I want to happen. I have already organised getting a retube done, so hopefully she will be ready for the SBA layup rally on Windermere in September.

When I get a chance I will upload some pictures. Some of them are on photobucket so I will need to upload them elsewhere first.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Titan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

Really been remiss in not keeping this thread up to date!

Got the boiler retubed last autumn, and she passed her test this spring. I have now had her on the water a few times, and as I am now getting the knack of firing her, I am pleased to say she runs very well indeed, despite the leaking glands on the engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5rR0T ... dex=2&t=0s
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

:o Wow, super! She's certainly licking along, any idea how fast?

P.S. You can update your profile now, with her name.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Titan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Mike Rometer wrote::o Wow, super! She's certainly licking along, any idea how fast?
Not really, did not have anything handy to measure speed with. Could have done something with the phone but I was too busy enjoying myself. All I can say is that it was a very respectable speed, and almost certainly the fastest that boat has ever gone. I can only estimate, my best guess is 8 knots. I also guess that the engine is running about 500rpm, which is pretty close to it's rated speed, quoted as 3hp @ 450rpm, although I do not know at what pressure, I suspect therefore it was putting out a little more than 3hp... It also tends to suggest that the propeller is well matched to the engine.

Please note that I am not always going to steam her like that, but as part of her "sea trials" I wanted to find out what she was capable of and was very pleased with the results! And the ex-underground train whistle is really really loud!
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Titan wrote: It also tends to suggest that the propeller is well matched to the engine.
What are the prop specs?

Congratulations on River Song! Whatever the exact top speed, clearly you are doing some things very right! :D

-CB