S.C. Firewater

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
SL Ethel
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: SL Ethel

S.C. Firewater

Post by SL Ethel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:48 pm

After 13 years of not getting my larger boat running, mostly due to space and money constraints, I've decided I have to have a going steamer in 12 months or less. So it has to be cheap, use as many parts on hand as possible, and fit into the workshop I currently have. So: the steam canoe Firewater.

The plan:
Hull: 16' or 17' aluminum canoe. Used ones are plentiful in the Chicago area. Good ones seem to go for $300-$500. I am toying with the idea of modifying the stern at the keel to produce a semi-tunnel hull. Any advice on this would be welcome. I'm going to purchase the hull as soon as I have a going engine.

Engine: 2"x2" ex- air compressor. Was $5, pulled out of the mud in a rural Wisconsin junk yard. Piston, cylinder, and bearing surfaces appear like new. Plan is to make a simple head for it with a piston valve working horizontally across the head driven through a bell crank. Slip eccentric reversing.

Boiler: Modified monotube. Currently leaning toward 3/8" stainless in a beehive coil. It will be wood/charcoal fired (to me one of the primary joys of steaming). I am planning on putting a 4" diameter water separator/ resevoir at the outlet, with the goal of maintaining a water level in it, to produce only saturated steam. Excess feed water increases the water level, and too little feed water would produce superheated steam to the seperator, which would boil off some of the water in the separator, bringing it back down to saturation. Variable stroke feed pump. This seems to me like it should be a crude and reliable way to control steam temp output. The boat will have no electronic controls.

Prop: Federal Equi-Poise 11x20. This beautiful little prop has been my most prized paperweight for years. I can't wait to see it spinning.

Anyway, that's the outline, for what I hope will be a cheap and cheerful little steamer. I've promised my 4-year-old that we're going steamboating next summer, so it has to happen. I'll post pictures of components as I get them.

Cheers,
Scott
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: S.C. Firewater

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:37 pm

SL Ethel wrote: I've promised my 4-year-old that we're going steamboating next summer, so it has to happen. I'll post pictures of components as I get them.

Cheers,
Scott
Ho boy! You've promised a four year old? :o Boy had you better deliver, or you will be mud! 4 yr/olds are like elephants - they NEVER forget!

"But Daddy, you promised!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:29 pm

cheapest and quickest way to steaming is to buy a complete boat.
Mike Cole
SL Ethel
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: SL Ethel

Post by SL Ethel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Mike Cole wrote:cheapest and quickest way to steaming is to buy a complete boat.
You are of course correct. But making it my own is a large part of what I enjoy in it. I've enjoyed my big boat immensely over the years - I just haven't been able to actually go boating in it.

Cheers,
Scott
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:39 am

Two things:

Bart on here used a compressor engine for years with remarkably good service.

It might be within the realm of the possible to build a steam outboard with that light of an engine. Used outboard motor bottom ends are a dime a dozen.

Aren't most aluminum canoes rivited? I dunno what is involved with modifying them.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:04 am

About a decade ago I built a steamer similar to your ambitions, a full description and pictures can be found under "Scanoe Steamboat" in Radow Rainer's website, ( http://www.steamboating.de/ ).

It is one of only a very few car-top transportable steamers. A Coleman Scanoe, which is a 15 foot long square stern canoe is the hull, fitted with an I/O drive system, using an outboard lower end. I had a converted chainsaw engine converted to steam service, using the original crankcase, crank, connecting rod and piston, with steam top end built primarily with pneumatic cylinder parts. The boiler was monotube, with a steam/water separator vessel on the outlet of the generating coils.

The Scanoe Steamboat was however fired with propane, which in my view is a real advantage to allow proper adjustment to match flame heat to engine steam consumption. Have a look at Radow's website. If you like additional details will be posted here.

For such a small boat, just carry a paddle for maneuvering at the dock, and reverse with muscle power.
Attachments
scanoe.jpg
Scanoe Steamboat Underway
scanoe.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 11445 times
Sca-boilcoil.jpg
Scanoe Monotube Boiler
Sca-boilcoil.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 11445 times
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet