Nyitra Launch

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Nyitra Launch

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:47 am

The steam launch I have been building was christened tonight with a champagne bottle and named "Nyitra". :mrgreen: :)

The Toledo 6HP Engine joined the party on Deck with the boiler no 176 for a steam up - I had to chose the direction for forwards because it runs a little better in one direction - before I could mount it properly. I didn't put a bag around the champagne bottle so the Deck has glass all over it. :(

Nyitra now has insurance, and the launch is scheduled for no later then 23 days from now. One minor title change pending - it needs to be listed as an inboard. I'll accomplish as much as I can and test whats mature enough to test. I am hoping for propulsion and rudimentary steering.

Follow on http://nyitra.blogspot.com/

-CB aka Andy
Andrew Jalics Nyitra Skipper and Builder
Bob Cleek
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Re: Nyitra Launch

Post by Bob Cleek » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:33 am

If you documented her with the USCG (if she qualifies,) and if they haven't changed their designations, it wouldn't be "inboard" or "outboard," but rather "oil screw" or "steam screw." I doubt there are many documented "steam screw" vessels around these days. The USCG documents changed years ago. They are now just an 8.5"x11" piece of paper, but they used to be big heavy sheets, maybe 14"x22" even, with a lot of really nice old fashioned lettering and archaic language and a bunch of annual stamps "suitable for framing." I had a documented vessel back then and when they changed the format to the new binder paper sized registration certificate, they actually required owners to surrender their old "documents" before the new one would be issued. I asked if I could keep mine as a memento and they wouldn't let me.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:26 am

Nyitra is documented with the State of Ohio Department of Natural Resources: Watercraft Division. The Boiler with The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors.

I talked with a watercraft officer several times. No inspection was required for the third pontoon addition because it didn't change the vessel length.

It is documented as Inboard, after much hubaloo. My Ohio title can't say inboard because they can't do that anymore with such a low horsepower, 6HP boat. But with the watercraft division it's documented as Inboard, Pontoon/House, Fuel: Other. There is a registration number but the state doesn't recognize the name Nyitra.

The State of Ohio won't really inspect the boiler. The watercraft division is ok with it, and the state boiler inspectors don't do watercraft.

The Ohio DNR Watercraft officers have been very helpful. The last one said everything sounded ok, good enough to go for testing on the water

The watercraft division more cares about all the relevant safety equipment being onboard. Also they seem happy that Nyitra won't have too many HP or be really fast. I think they also worry more about accidents of homemade crazy speedboats.

In a few years I would like to figure out how to get a boiler inspection done independently. But it's a brand new ASME Code and Stamped Vessel right now, 2015, and I did a Hydro test a month ago.

-CB(AKJ)

P.S. The Steam Screw designation is very interesting to me. But I don't think Ohio can make that designation any more.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:59 am

The word is given!

Nyitra Launch on Monday under Steam! Propulsion and Steering is ready for test!

First time this engine has probably moved a vehicle in 100 years!!

http://nyitra.blogspot.com/

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 am

Launch successful!

Today at Wingfoot Lake in Akron, Ohio.

Youtube video and images...

http://nyitra.blogspot.com/

-CB
Dano
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Dano » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:11 am

Congratulations on the successful launch!