Trying to contact Gary Smith owner of Steam Launch Carol Ann

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
Cyruscosmo
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Trying to contact Gary Smith owner of Steam Launch Carol Ann

Post by Cyruscosmo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:12 am

Anyone here have an idea how I can send a message to Gary Smith? I have searched this site, steamboating.de, steamboatassociation.co.uk, northweststeamsociety.org and a few others and have had no luck. I have found numerous references to Carol Ann on many sites but no way of sending an e-mail.

I would like to ask him some questions about his setup.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cyruscosmo
My Grandpa told me when I was 8 or so that “You have to learn by the mistakes of others! Because you will NOT live long enough to make them all yourself.” At that age I though I had forever to learn everything... ;-)
Gudmund
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Silkie

Re: Trying to contact Gary Smith owner of Steam Launch Carol

Post by Gudmund » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:35 am

Are you sure of the boat name? Carol Ann was owned by Victor Ware, briefly, who sold her to me. I have renamed her Silkie2. No one of the name Gary Smith has, to my knowledge, been involved with her.
Gudmund jorgensen
Cyruscosmo
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Cyruscosmo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Thank you for your reply Gudmund.

Yes I am sure of the name. The man has numerous mentions in posts I have found and a few video's on the net. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HqmbRrFAQ
Also there is a listing on this site. http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... ol-ann.php But no contact information. I think Rainer Radow took the pictures himself during a visit to california.

I did find your Steam Launch listed on steamboatassociation.co.uk but it is not the Carol Ann I am searching for. If you do happen to find a way to contact Gary please send him my way.

Thank you again

Cyruscosmo
My Grandpa told me when I was 8 or so that “You have to learn by the mistakes of others! Because you will NOT live long enough to make them all yourself.” At that age I though I had forever to learn everything... ;-)
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:18 pm

When Gary had her, Carol Ann lived in California. He sold her to the gentleman that owned her previous to Gudmund. I don't know how to get in touch with Gary anymore, but Dick Vennerbeck or one of the other California crowd should know how to get in touch with Gary.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Gudmund
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Silkie

Post by Gudmund » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:53 pm

I bought Carol Ann from Victor Ware who had bought her from R. E. Mitchell who built her and called her 'Jastelle'. She has always been this side of the Atlantic. The Carol Annyou are looking for is another boat.
Gudmund
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:40 pm

Gudmund wrote:I bought Carol Ann from Victor Ware who had bought her from R. E. Mitchell who built her and called her 'Jastelle'. She has always been this side of the Atlantic. The Carol Annyou are looking for is another boat.
Gudmund
Sorry, Got slightly confused in who owned what. The Carol Ann I'm referring to lived in California from at least the 1990s 'til she was sold out of state.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Cyruscosmo
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Cyruscosmo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:30 am

Hey Artemis

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure how to get hold of anyone in any specific place. If the boat has been sold then I have no idea how to find it without a new name. I am still looking for a way to contact him. I just had some questions about the steam atomizing fuel system on the boiler. I will keep looking.

Cyruscosmo
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:50 am

Gary Smith has NOT sold his boat. I am the one who made the youtube video

The steam atomizing system he used in those photos is a bit different now. It changed in the last 5 years. The boiler is an Ofeldt. If you email me with your contact info at bilgerat671-AT-gmail.com I will forward it to Gary...
Cyruscosmo
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Cyruscosmo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Hey thank you for the e-mail relay Wesley!

This saves me a lot of fiddling around learning something someone has already figured out.

Cyruscosmo