My New Launch

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

My New Launch

Post by Kelly Anderson » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:57 pm

With bending and plumbing two cylinder drain lines last night, I am declaring my launch engine “finished”.

I purchased a trunion hung automobile engine of unknown make at Cabin Fever several years ago, which I believe was a prototype, and virtually unused. The extra “cylinder” is an intercepting valve, which converts the engine into a true double simple. Another unique feature it has are inside admission balanced slide valves, something I have never seen even in books. The HP cylinder is steam jacketed and originally didn’t even have cylinder drains. Both pistons are hollow. The HP crosshead was badly out of line with the piston rod, something that wouldn’t have lasted in use, another reason to suspect that it was a prototype that was abandoned prior to testing.

Bores are 2-5/8" & 4-15/16". Stroke is 3-1/2".

New parts include:
Sole plate
Crankshaft
Flywheel & shaft coupling
Columns
Intercepting valve & bushing
Reverse shaft, arms, and lever
Air & feed pumps and their 1/2 speed drive
Steam and exhaust flanges
Cylinder drains
Cylinder jacking of powder coated brass & copper
Oil boxes and lines
Mechanical lubricator.

It had been assembled a few weeks ago, until I took it down to parts for painting, the reassembly process inspires me to quote Richard McKenna:

“Holman led them in refitting each bearing as they rebuilt the engine, pointing the conn rods to meet each crank fair and central, and day after day the heaped engine parts went back to their appointed places. The empty archways filled up with piston rods and bulky crossheads and connecting rods. Between them, eccentric rods forked up to either end of the double bar links. Holman worked in a driving fury and he carried the others with him. All the heaped and rusting confusion moved back into place and order, with every nut snugged up and locked, and every part fitted easy and true to every other part.

Ping-wen moved in his coolies to clean and polish and paint and the engine stood bravely new…”

As purchased.

Last edited by Kelly Anderson on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: My New Engine

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:53 am

Really nice work, first rate..

-Ron
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Kelly, the work you produce at Strasburg is always amazing but now I am impressed !!!

Don Fenstermacher Jr.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Well done! The engine looks magnificent. Sorry, I have not had a look around the forum for a while so missed it.

On with the boat next?

Best wishes

Pete
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

PeteThePen1 wrote:
On with the boat next?

Pete
Actually yes, but I have been too busy getting her running to post about it.

She is a 23' x 6' launch built by Rappahannock Boat Works in 2005, which I purchased through Ronnie Baird in 2014. The previous owner had badly neglected the boat. The engine was seized, 7' of the keel was damaged by rot and had to be replaced, the original finish on the combing and cuddy decks was delaminated from the oak beneath it, which was black. (Note to those considering selling a worn out boat. Dim lighting and a thick coat of dirty grease in the bilge goes a long way.)

Ronnie Baird of Rappahannock graciously made time in his busy schedule to refinish the decks, while I completed the new engine, cleaned and inspected the boiler, repaired the keel (with Steve Weaver's able assistance) and replaced every system aboard, due to issues with virtually everything, including the trailer, prop shaft, and the smoke stack. Due to trim issues, I also turned the boiler to face front, and moved it aft about a foot from its original location.

I have been racing to complete installation of the engine and plumbing in time to meet with friends on Raquette Lake in New York State this last week. Didn't have time to paint the stack, or complete the hot well (which wasn't an issue due to Raquette Lake's clear and naturally tannin treated water.

You can see a short video of her in operation on Raquette Lake on YouTube.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Re: My New Launch

Post by steamdon-jr » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:30 am

Kelly, fantastic work, hope to see her at Nockamixon in October.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:14 am

Looks superb! Well done; now time to enjoy.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Kelly,

Really nice work! Love the Breisch steampump, they are fun to watch.

-Ron
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Bloody hell thats a nice bit of engine, and a good looking boat to go with!

Very nice,

Daniel
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Very nice, makes mine look rubbish

Mike
Mike Cole