My New Launch

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Re: My New Launch

Post by steamboatjack » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:46 am

Hi,
This is a fine looking engine and indeed the hole boat congratulations. I was particularly impressed by the duplex feed pump, a good size for a larger boat, can any members give more details regarding this item? Bore & stroke, supplier of drawings & castings etc.?
Regards
Jack
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Jack,

That is a Breisch pump once sold by Myersengines here in the states. They have been out of stock on these every time I have checked for the past few years. If you email him, he may run a set for you.

http://www.myersengines.com/engines/duplex_pump.htm

Water cylinder 1"
Steam Cylinder 1.25"
Stroke about 1.5"

-Ron
SL Ethel
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: SL Ethel

Post by SL Ethel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:50 pm

I call or email the good folks at Myers every couple of years as well, in hopes of convincing them do do another run of castings. Are there many more people out there who are hoping for a set of those castings? Perhaps if we could put together a firm order for several sets, it might inspire them to cast another set.

Cheers,

Scott
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:36 pm

At one time Ronnie Baird was I think castings these sets for him and they even had them on their website with notation that they were part of the Clarence Myers collection. An email to Ronnie may produce a set.

I have a set of these castings I started to machine a long time ago, I hit two big air pockets in the pump casting and that ended my interest in it. I was already "not feeling it" with the fastener size with some as small as 2-48 if I remember correctly. I upsized all of them to 4-40 to make it serviceable dockside.

I opted instead for the Southworth 12" vertical single cylinder pump - I like it a lot better. It's vertical and doesn't take up too much room, about the right size for our boats, it keeps up with the water/steam hungry tug. I had some O-ring issues with it early on, which I re-did and used much better neoprene 75 durometer rings and it is very reliable now. I usually start it in the morning and let it run all day, even at the dock. The lubricator is the little scale locomotive type sold all over Ebay.

Jack, for a 40 footer, I doubt either of these pumps would be sufficient. I would look instead for a small Worthington, they show up on Ebay and engineads. They usually go for a reasonable price - not too many folks building 40 footers :D

-Ron
Last edited by DetroiTug on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:47 am

Absolutely amazing Kelly!