Nyitra I

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Re: Nyitra I

Post by cyberbadger » Fri May 20, 2016 11:53 pm

I got 3 sheets 3/4" of Marine Plywood. That's all they had, have to go back Wed for more.

Got my brand new trailer! Actually managed to drive it home and park it with no damage!

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:41 am

Been doing a lot of work on Nyitra that is as my sister described it, "Not sexy, or something you can't show a lot for but vital to the project."

I wire brushed, I orbital sanded for several hours with minimal success on the Nyitra hull frame members to remove the rust. I unfortunately used the wrong primer for rusty galvanized metal. I used the aluminum/galvanized primer which is latex and only for new galvanized - not old and rusty. So I had to remove it. With Jasco 15 min paint remover. Plastic or metal scrapers didn't seem to scrap off the paint and remover so most of it stayed in place and redried. So I got a paint remover after cleanse product. And that didn't clean it well and I had to finish with water and rags. Finally 40 grit flap sand discs for a 13k rpm angle grinder found to work quite well at removing most of the rust, but used up a few expensive discs.

Finally I painted it a 2nd time with the right primer, rustoleoum rusty metal heavy duty oil based primer. And then a coat of rustoleoum knock-off metallic oil paint:

But the boiler is 1000 lbs or so. So I needed some more support. I got three 2" square box tube galvanized that has holes drilled on the inch mark from Mcmaster Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/mv1466081869/#catalog/4931T79

Apparently some of these Self Etching Primers for new galvanized are somewhat hazardous to life forms - good thing I was painting outside!

But as described in another thread I need more buoyancy - a third pontoon. So I have been watching my local craigs listing for pontoons/pontoon boats. There is some competition in the market because people use them to make floating docks. I finally got a 20ft Meijer for $400. 100ft down the road after loading we stopped to adjust the straps - this salvage grade boat with mulch for flooring that I just wanted one pontoon from. A guy came out of his front door and said I've been looking for one of those - can I buy it's canopy? $50 straight to your doorstep with delivery as we ripped it off the carpet and throw it onto his front lawn! :-P

Loading the donor boat onto Nyitra's trailer.

Having a fiasco with a West Marine special paint order and Fedex foulup which I will describe in a later post..

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:48 am

Unbolted and removed the railing on the donor boat - might use for railing on Nyitra. Ripped the carpet out and removed the mulch Decking.

-CB
ron parola
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: victoria

Post by ron parola » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:09 am

My 2 cents;1/2 penberthy fills boiler QUICKLY, I usually use it when berthing for next start up, Hypro pumps for normal running, through a feed water heater I don't see a drop in pressure when it's delivering. I HAVE a hand pump but never use it, not needed so far.
Lube; I use 90/150 ( or something) gear oil; redline cuz I like the smell, for the external bits, synthetic; it STICKS. I did have a Swift for cylinder lube, couldn't really turn it down enough for my running. So have a fat lady lube valve on HP head that gets a squirt now and then... when the rings make noise. Using again 90/150 Redline, it does condense out in the hotwell, I've got a couple of hundred gallons of Mobil Hecla 600 for the Stanley's but that's for MUCH higher temps AND you really can't get it out of the feed water! Great lube though and since tallow based you can eat it.... pancakes anyone? rp
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:50 am

Nyitra's Boiler holds 29 gallons, aprox measured by calibrated buckets.

So a 30-60seconds in batches with the injectors.

The Chicago delivers slightly less. I don't plan to do a continuous feed, condenser or hotwell. Nyitra is a puffer. or just to atmosphere. A little piping on the boiler - a few sched 40 exhaust pipes, and some ballvalves let it switch, or drain from the exhaust nozzel to atmosphere is what is currently on the boiler stationary test setup.

-CB

P.S. Will be minimum of two crew to operate Nyitra.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:02 am

My Marine Alkyd Primer Paint for Nyitra's Deck - special order from West Marine that took a lot of hassle to get ordered - has been lost by Fedex in NJ since thursday and has gone to a 4th company I didn't know existed. I don't know who to call now. West Marine, Blue Water, Fedex, or National Paint Company!!!!

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:53 am

Good Progress. Nyitra is on the trailer at my "dry dock" with third pontoon in place.

Next up: Pontoon mounting and Decking.

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:07 am

Part of the Decking is the Painting.

This is what I'm going with. The Fedex package got Delivered!

I drove an hour today to get the Sherwin Williams that had the recommended thinner(Back of these Paint Cans) which is not readily available at big box hardware stores - High Flash Naptha.

The guy there tried to sell me the VM&P Naptha. I didn't fall for it.

It's interesting that the Royal Blue Finish says, "Not for Sale to or Use by the General Public" and the thinner says "Use exclusively for thinning industrial maintenance coatings."

Why is the public not allowed to get good quality paint? Some of the best stuff is dangerous and needs to be handled carefully.

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:45 am

Third Pontoon mounted. You can also see the reinforcement I added for the boiler. 3 2" box tubbing that will be under the boiler.

The sheets of marine plywood are painted. I may add one more coat after they are mounted.

-CB
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:14 am

3 out of 5 sheets of 8'x4' plywood bolted down with exactly 50 1/4-20 sunken in bolts. (the 4th is there but not fixed yet)

If you see the faint orange target in the center that is where the boiler will be lowered and bolted on.

-CB