first boiler fire-up

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
dwkoski
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

first boiler fire-up

Post by dwkoski » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:25 pm

After eight years of effort, I fired the boiler in the 20' Paul Gartside designed steam pinnace last Sunday. The lunkheimer whistle was functional beginning at 35 psi (a hunting buddy originally found it on the shoulder of a highway.) Tried the engine at 45 psi and it ran smooth as a watch in both forward and reverse with no adjustment of the eccentrics needed (Tiny Power M... the first full size engine I've built). Worked well all the way down to 15 psi. The Tiny power lubricator and hand pump also worked well although the pump had a pin hole in the casting. Didn't run it up to try the injector yet, that's next. Plan to launch it on saturday.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: first boiler fire-up

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 am

Sounds like it'll soon be "Full steam ahead!" ;) Well done. :D
Last edited by Mike Rometer on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:10 pm

Well done! Nice to hear of a trouble free trial. So how about some pictures...?

Regards

Pete
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

I second the request for pictures.

Ken
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like a great effort.
Steve
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Congrats, nothing like firing up the first time and seeing your work come to life. Happy steaming ahead!

-Ron
dwkoski
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by dwkoski » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 pm

I can't post pictures because my camera broke and I used the wife's iPad to take them. The file size is too large to load and i'm not computer savvy enough to shrink them. I posted video on my facebook page....David Koski. Arbor Vitae Wisconsin. Just lit the boiler for the second time and ran it up to 80psi. A couple of minor fitting drips to tighten when it cools down. Tried the injector and it hit instantly, was I surprised (and relieved.) The engine is amazing at 80 psi, you can only crack the throttle a bit and the engine literally races (of course the prop shaft is disconnected.) If the master link for the prop shaft chain coupler arrives today or tomorrow, we launch at noon on Saturday and I will be sure to have pictures to post.
dwkoski
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

I can't post pictures because my camera broke and I used the wife's iPad to take them. The file size is too large to load and i'm not computer savvy enough to shrink them. I posted video on my facebook page....David Koski. Arbor Vitae Wisconsin. Just lit the boiler for the second time and ran it up to 80psi. A couple of minor fitting drips to tighten when it cools down. Tried the injector and it hit instantly, was I surprised (and relieved.) The engine is amazing at 80 psi, you can only crack the throttle a bit and the engine literally races (of course the prop shaft is disconnected.) If the master link for the prop shaft chain coupler arrives today or tomorrow, we launch at noon on Saturday and I will be sure to have pictures to post.
dwkoski
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:58 am

Quick!!! Life your finger from the 'Post Reply' button!! (grins)
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama