Introduction

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
GregT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Nameless

Introduction

Post by GregT » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi - I'm Greg and am about to build a small steam engine, boiler etc. and use them to convert a small sailboat I own currently into a small steamboat. I have almost no metalworking tools, almost no experience and, it appears, a very limited amount of knowledge. That has never stopped me before (might this time - POOF ha ha). I bring very little to this table other than perhaps some amusement in my future attempts. I will greatly appreciate any/all input and in return, hopefully manage to post progress of the boat (Currently owned but nameless). I have several thousand questions to which I seek answers and I guess I need to start at the beginning. Anybody have any experience with Grizzly lathe/mill combo's.

Thanks

Greg T
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Introduction

Post by fredrosse » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:30 pm

Welcome aboard! Converting a small sailboat to a steamer, the easiest path to get underway on steam with limited resources.

Conversion of a centerboard sailboat to a propeller driven boat is fairly simple. There is a description of this process on the Yahoo Group "Electric Boats" titled "Building an Electric Javalin", which is a 14 ft fiberglass hull. That conversion was for electric power, but steam is on the order of the same power level and weight.

Boiler, well that requires some skill, and good design for a safe boat, more on that later.

Steam engine, you can go with a classic double acting launch engine, somewhat pricey, or much labor to build yourself. The Grizzly or Smithy combo Lathe - Mill - Drill can machine a small classic steam engine. I have a Smithy 12 x 20 and it works OK, I built a 2 inch bore x 2-1/2 inch stroke double acting engine with it. If you want less building time, it is very much easier to convert an IC engine (3 to 7 HP) , or an air compressor (3 to 5) HP to a steam engine. This takes about 10% of the work required to build a classic steam engine, and can be just as functional.
GregT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by GregT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks - I appreciate that.

The sailboat idea seemed far easier to do than even my original idea which was to build a small bateau out of construction lumber, throw either silicon sealants (if the joints are tight) or fiberglass (if not) to get a very inexpensive hull. The fact that I already own a little 16' day sailer makes this a no brainer.

The boiler has been somewhat of an investigation in that I bought some plans for a water tube boiler. This is definitely too complex a project for me and in addition, the plans I bought are incomplete leaving some vital information off (like where the sight glass should be located, height wise). However, I do not believe that a vertical fire tube boiler would be too difficult. Knowing what size tubing and what thickness metals should be used where is more of an issue. I'm not much of a welder but I have a close friend who welds nuclear power station steam stuff who I know will accept money for a few welds. This is probably going to be my point of origin on this project since it seems the most daunting and doesn't require any other of the components to exist in order for its' completion.

I'm still undecided as too what engine to use. I do not know how to convert an IC engine to steam (Probably involves making or buying new cams/camshaft), never even considered turning a compressor into an engine but can't see any reason why not. Been looking at a tiny power 'W' engine. Seems simple in its' operation, requires machining but doesn't appear way to complex. Have to admit though, the compressor idea has got me thinking.

thanks for imput.

Greg T
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Look under the thread on this site "From napkins to fabrication VFT boiler design", found on page 3 of the "Engines & Boilers" section. A while back a young man was building a small launch boiler, I don't know if the project ever got completed, but things are pretty well developed in that thread. There you will find a rather long discussion about building your own boiler, with many relevant details and input from many of the forum members.
GregT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by GregT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:13 am

I will do that.

Thanks

GT
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:47 am

Welcome aboard Greg.

Seems you're already finding out how useful this place is.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
GregT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by GregT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 am

Absolutely! And not just useful - facinating too: Spent a good hour reading many of the posts on other issues. Very much appreciated.

Greg T
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Emma and Molly

Post by Rainer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Welcome Grag!

Where are you from?

If you are passing Hannover, Germany have a stop at my steam boat Emma http://www.steamboating.de for a ride!

Or do you live near Lake Hartwell, GA? I will be there in late October this year for steamboating too.
GregT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by GregT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Ranier:

Thank for your gracious welcome. I too live in (a) Hanover, only this one is in Virginia. I would love to take you up on your offer but alas I will nowhere near there any time soon. Hopefully one day.

Thanks
Greg T
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Emma and Molly

Post by Rainer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 pm

GregT wrote:... I too live in (a) Hanover, only this one is in Virginia. ...
Is that true, you live in a Hanover too?!
Than you probably want to navigate on the James River?

OK even Google Earth can't find a way how to drive from Hannover Germany to Hanover Virginia - so it must be true ;-)))

Rainer