Hello from Minnesota

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Will Creighton
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Hello from Minnesota

Post by Will Creighton » Fri May 26, 2017 11:41 am

Hi everyone!
My name is Will Creighton. I am 14 years old and I love everything Steam. I don't have any boats yet put I have experience firing and operating different types of boilers and engines. I have fired Return Flue boiler and Direct Tube boilers. Once I turn 16 I am hoping to acquire my Minnesota Boilers liscence, then volunteer on the steamboat Minnehaha, firing the boiler and operating the Triple Expansion engine. I hope to meet new people and learn lots more about steamboating on this forum.
Thanks,
Will
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Hello from Minnesota

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Will. Sounds like you're already acquiring some good experience!

I started really young like you too. Just remember to be patient and listen to all the old guys stories and everything else they have to say. There is a lot of wisdom they can pass on hidden in those long yarns of boats, ships, cars, locomotives, and sometimes even women, from their past.

If your school has a metal/machine shop or even a wood shop class, enroll in it and absorb everything. If they don't have a program, try to find one to take on some of your free time.... Of course don't let it get in the way of your regular studies. Gotta have a good paying job to pay for your hobbies haha.

Good luck! Once again, WELCOME!
Will Creighton
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Will Creighton » Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks Wesley,
I have seen your YouTube channel and I love the 40ft steamboat you and your Dad are constructing. I can't wait to see that thing in the water! Your videos of the Pumper and Segwun from the '90s were really cool too. I am hoping to construct a model steamboat soon, I gotta start somewhere right?
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri May 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Will, great to see young folks taking an interest in steam power.

-Ron
Will Creighton
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Will Creighton » Fri May 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Ron!
Akitene
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Akitene » Fri May 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Welcome aboard, Will!

You sure have a young & boiling blood. Image

Beyond your enthusiasm, you also have quite an interesting experience: where did you encounter a return flue boiler? Scotch marine boilers are scarce nowadays but they are a fascinating piece of engineering.
Will Creighton
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Will Creighton » Fri May 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Akitene!
I had the opportunity to fire and operate a Return Flue boiler on a 1913 22HP Minneapolis steam traction engine. We had a bit of an alarming experience on it when a hand hole gasket blew, but the more experienced guys got the situation under control. Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.
Will
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat May 27, 2017 12:38 am

Thank you for the kind words Will. The big boat is so close we can almost taste it!

Models are a great way to start... They can teach you about silver and soft soldering, welding, carpentry (on a micro scale) and more.
Will Creighton
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Will Creighton » Sat May 27, 2017 1:54 am

Thanks, Wesley!
The model steamboat I am thinking of constructing will be powered by a Wilesco D52 Marine engine and boiler. I have no clue where to start constructing the hull and everything else that is essential for a successful vessel. If anyone has any tips for me that would be greatly appreciated.
Will
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dampfspieler » Sat May 27, 2017 6:58 am

Hi Will,

there are some nice kits available like KRICK Victoria and KRICK Alexandra. So you will get a well steaming little ship. If you want you can pimp it. At the hull of the ALEXANDRA you can built also a nice model of the MINNEHAHA.

A better Boiler than the WILESO like this is available at http://eichendampf.de/

Best Dietrich