Good afternoon from the River Tamar

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Good afternoon from the River Tamar

Post by ianrichards » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:16 pm

I've been a long while getting here considering that I've been messing around with boats and classic motorcycles for many years. But I am now formulating plans for my next project and any advice would be gratefully received.

The project I have in mind is to build a Selway Fisher Rose and power it with a Stuart 5a and a vertical boiler (non-condensing).
Would this combinations work?
Should I be considering any other designs?
The "perfect" vessel for me would be something utilitarian rather than pretty in design, less than 15ft with a 5ft beam.
The SF Rose is nearly there but .... open to any ideas.
I won't be able to start this project before winter 2017 as I have a 16ft Canadian canoe to build beforehand (just not enough time!)
Regards
Ian
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Re: Good afternoon from the River Tamar

Post by Mike Cole » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Welcome Ian
That combination would work well. Of course there are many other option you might look at. Would you also be building the engine and boiler as well.
Get hold of the SBA boiler designs CD, you might want to consider a small water tube boiler ,thinking of lightness and ease of build.
Lots of ST5a’s around, i have one myself in a 18 foot boat. But there are lots of different engines out there.
Have a good look around the SBA website and buy yourself a copy of the Steamboaters Guide. Also contact as many steamboaters as you can and get to look at as many steamboats as you can.

Mike
Mike Cole
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum. My advice for your project is to go bigger. 15 ft length and 5 foot beam, with a steam plant in the middle doesn't leave much room. At that size, I'd be looking at a fully open launch hull design.

-Ron
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by ianrichards » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for that.
I have already ordered a copy of "Steamboaters Guide" and am eagerly watching the postman daily.
I rather thought that I'd be buying the engine & possibly the boiler secondhand as my engineering skills are not as good as my woodwork skills.
I really hadn't considered building the boiler, but I'm sure I could.
I'm in touch with local steamboaters, fortunately there's an active group locally.
Regards
Ian
Mike Cole wrote:Welcome Ian
That combination would work well. Of course there are many other option you might look at. Would you also be building the engine and boiler as well.
Get hold of the SBA boiler designs CD, you might want to consider a small water tube boiler ,thinking of lightness and ease of build.
Lots of ST5a’s around, i have one myself in a 18 foot boat. But there are lots of different engines out there.
Have a good look around the SBA website and buy yourself a copy of the Steamboaters Guide. Also contact as many steamboaters as you can and get to look at as many steamboats as you can.

Mike
Ethelred
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Dixie

Post by Ethelred » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Welcome aboard.
Have a good look through the SBA register (the older one is easier to search) and Rainer's one and the American ones too. That will give you a good idea of what works with what.
http://www.steamboatassociation.org.uk/page-1117882
http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... -radow.php
http://www.northweststeamsociety.org/steamboats

You might want to consider buying a complete 2nd hand boat as not many used engines or boilers come up for sale.
Rob Lemon
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!

That combination should work out well. I'd find a place in your garage (carpark?) To chalk out the lines of the launch you're proposing... line it with boxes for seating and a big box in the middle to represent the steam plant. See how you like it!

There is something to be said for getting a used boat for your first... the price of admission is pennies on the dollar, you're on the water much sooner, and you can learn to operate without hurting something you've worked so hard on to create. Then you can build what you REALLY want whilst still steaming and learning!
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by ianrichards » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
I'm pretty sure the project will work out well.
I appreciate that buying a complete steamboat secondhand is way cheaper, but I'm a creator, this'll be boat number 3 I've built and I just love doing it.
I'll probably buy a secondhand engine and boiler.
Probable start time will be next September and I reckon 2 years in the build, but I really don't mind how long it takes ;-)
Thanks again
Ian

TahoeSteam wrote:Welcome to the forum!

That combination should work out well. I'd find a place in your garage (carpark?) To chalk out the lines of the launch you're proposing... line it with boxes for seating and a big box in the middle to represent the steam plant. See how you like it!

There is something to be said for getting a used boat for your first... the price of admission is pennies on the dollar, you're on the water much sooner, and you can learn to operate without hurting something you've worked so hard on to create. Then you can build what you REALLY want whilst still steaming and learning!
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:48 am

Happy to hear! We'd love to see pictures of your progress so we may drool!
Ethelred
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Dixie

Post by Ethelred » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 pm

It'd be interesting to hear about the other boats you've built. What construction methods have you've used?
Rob Lemon
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by ianrichards » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Stitch & glue construction, a canoe or two and the last vessel was a lovely little yacht (see attached photo).
I have now ordered a set of study plans for the project from Selway Fisher.
Ian
Ethelred wrote:It'd be interesting to hear about the other boats you've built. What construction methods have you've used?
Attachments
storm1500.jpg
storm1500.jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 9229 times