new boat, new engine new project

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
steamboatdon
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Agenoria

new boat, new engine new project

Post by steamboatdon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello everyone :)

I have just joined the world of steam boating, and wondered if anyone could help me identify the following engine for plans, drawings, past experience or any info at all - as a complete newbie at this, and I would like as much info before tackling this new project.. anything would be really helpful..

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Re: new boat, new engine new project

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:40 pm

steamboatdon wrote:I have just joined the world of steam boating, and wondered if anyone could help me identify the following engine for plans, drawings, past experience or any info at all - as a complete newbie at this, and I would like as much info before tackling this new project.. anything would be really helpful..
steamboatdon! welcome, there is a lot of good information and folks to help you along!

As far as the engine - whose launch/where are the photos or boat in question from? That might help someone here help you identify it better. I don't know offhand.

The boiler looks to be home built, possibly from some designs somewhere.

The engine also looks home made, but it reminds me of a general kind of american table? engine that were made by at least a few companies and sold circa 1850ish as an off the shelf general use engine for small work on say a farm or a plantation - but that maybe completely wrong. I saw such an engine in person near where I live and it looks similar too what is in your picture.

Is it your wish to replicate or find a boiler/engine exactly like those in your pictures for your own steamboat?

Good luck, you are in the right place!

-CB
steamboatdon
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Agenoria

Post by steamboatdon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi Thank you for the reply, sorry for being a bit Vague...

I actually have bought the boat, engine and boiler you see in the picture's (well I am in the process of buying, and it will be with me at the end of the month)

I have purchased it from a lovely lady in Glostershire - and can't wait to get it home, it seems a really good project and I plan to use it on Windermere at the earliest opportunity as I personally live in Manchester.

My late father was a Steam engine driver and steam has always interested me from being a boy:)

I have found a few engines pretty similar, but I suppose this one could be made to a personal spec, but I am hoping there is a close relative as it were to use as a reference guide - I have joined the SBA at the weekend and wonder if anybody could direct me to the nearest/or recommended boiler tester locally??

as I say this is all new to me.

but again a big thankyou for your advice..

Thanks Don
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi Don

Welcome to the forum. If you have acquired or are acquiring Agenoria, your questions can all be answered by the SBA Steam boat Register http://www.steamboatassociation.org.uk/page-1117882. I would encourage you to join the Association as they are a nice bunch of folks, there are lots of meets and things, not to mention kind members whose brains you can pick.

As Cyberbadger says, this is a great forum just jam packed with information. Any question you have is sure to get an answer.

Regards

Pete
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Don,
welcome to the world of steamboating. Joining the SBA is a good move: lots of friendly, knowledgable and helpful people.

Your engine looks vaguely familiar, and I have a suspicion it may have been built as one of a series of scratch-built engines about 30 years ago in the midlands, but that's my not-very-helpful lot I'm afraid. With a simple engine like that, it won't take huge effort to get it running nicely, regardless of origins.

Dot Bullough is your area rep in Manchester, and I bet she knows of more than one boiler inspector - contact details are on the SBA website. This may also be a good route for identifying the boiler, given that inspectors see dozens of different ones, and will know all the likely places for identification stamps.

It will almost certainly have them somewhere, even if primarily home-built. Without markings, it will very difficult to get approved for use in public places in the UK, but an experienced inspector will be able to give you all the gory details.
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Don

SBAS runs boiler inspections for the SBA, you can contact them on the SBA website look at the Steamboat tab and then Boiler Inspections.
Glad to see more North West members , I am not too far away, I live on the Wirrel. Just keep on asking questions.
I just looked at Agenoria on the steamboat register and and i think it may be a different boat. Certaintly the engine and boiler are not the same.

Mike
Mike Cole