Read this first then introduce yourself here.
mark gilbert
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by mark gilbert » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:58 am

Here goes.Im probably in the wrong place,please bear with me.My name is Mark Gilbert.I live in British Columbia and am employed as a heavy equipment mechanic.I have had a very long lived interest in steam launches.I am a capable woodcraft and have aspirations to build a 17 or 18 foot steam launch.I eagerly await any suggestions any of you may have.I plan to build a vertical tube boiler and source and build something in the 2 to 4 horsepower range.Thank you for accepting me into your forum!
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: New Member

Post by fredrosse » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 am

Welcome to the forum. Building a small steamer can range from a simple plywood hull (like mine) that can be well built in a couple of months of part time work, to more traditional launch hulls, either strip planked or other traditional methods with much more labor time.

Steam plants also can cover a wide range of options, from converted IC engines or air compressor conversions to high endpieces of metal art. Whatever type you are building, you can get lots of reference information here. A VFT boiler is a wise choice for economy of building, and easy boiler control.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:09 am

Welcome to the forum Mark

There is a wealth of information on here and many very helpful individuals willing to answer your questions, or help you find an appropriate solution.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:17 am

Please look up the web site for the Northwest Steam Society. We have several members from B.C. who I suspect would be more than happy to have a visit from you.

http://www.northweststeamsociety.org
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Welcome Mark!

You might find it useful to start subscribing to Steamboating magazine http://www.steamboating.org/. A note to Ron, the editor, might get you some back issues on the building of Maid of Scrap by Chris Doughty. This is a 14ft launch but built with economy in mind and an amusing story in itself.

Many Forum members are also members of the SBA [http://www.steamboatassociation.org.uk/] which, although mostly UK based, has members throughout the world. They publish a quarterly magazine, Funnel, which often has useful build related articles.

On the books side, I am sure you will have seen the 'Steam Launch' and also 'Steam Boats and Modern Steam Launches' that are the two 'must have' volumes for your book case.

I think it fair to say that the forum is made up of many engineering/marine experts who are very kind and helpful with their comments and then a few of us who are paper pushers by trade, so are always willing to ask the stupid question.

Hope you enjoy the company.

Regards

Pete
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:10 am

Welcome Mark I'm from Vancouver Island which used to be a separate colony from BC ! But now we are joined
We once had San Juan Is as well but thats another story [sorry Mike] Great people here and the best info available Den
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:45 am

My mom grew up in Montreal, and my dad is from Nevada... no comment
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:37 am

You've gots lots of time to comment Wes You're snowed in!!